Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #1 
Sarada

Fin rot

I think Bob has fin rot. He is in a 5 gallon by himself. Do I have to isolate him even though there are no other critters at risk?
Can I add a filter to his tank? I have a tetra whisper filter I forgot I ordered that just arrived. It says it works for a 5-10 gallon.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

For fin rot I found that making lots of large water changes to work best, when they have active fin rot I like to QT in a small container and make 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for at least 10 days.

Often fin rot is related to poor water quality or injury, the opening allows bacteria to enter..... best to get the water as clean as possible and lower the water temp to 76F to decrease the bad bacteria growth.

Adding IAL or native oak leave can also help and feeding a high protein diet along with fresh garlic juice will also promote healing and aid in the immune response.

These are natural treatment and are less harsh than medications.

Fresh clean dechlorinated water is the number one medication in my experience.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #3 
Sarada

Thanks, I did a 100% change two nights ago and meant to do another last night, with 3 little ones I didnt get to it, so tonight I hope to. He's still happy active and eating. It looks like he possibly tore his anal fin, there is one streak that looks thinner anyways.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #4 
LucyLoofa

Mine nearly died from water shock a few days ago. (faulty hydor mini heater accident) He was extremely stressed but recovering. A day later, though, I thought I noticed a small tear/hole forming in his anal fin but just wrote it off as a transparent part of his tail since his tips are transparent. (totally normal and healthy that way. that's how i bought him)
But it wasn't, it actually was a hole. It's gotten bigger and I've noticed the edges of his fins starting to blacken slightly so I'm pretty sure it's fin rot. I thought warming his water was a good idea so I raised it to 80, and I'm floating him in his dip cup.
I had no idea the higher temp would be bad for him. Also I've made the mistake of giving him medication.
I will lower the temp, to 75 a soon as possible.
I don't have the oak leaves but I can get garlic juice and I'm already sprinkling a few grains of salt (what i assume to be appropriate for the size of his dip cup) into his cup.
What is IAL? And where might I be able to purchase some?
I'm also feeding him freeze dried blood worms. (couldn't find frozen ones locally) Is that high enough in protein for him?
I've already been giving him daily 100% water changes and his cup always remains clean.
He's eating heartily and disposing of it regularly so otherwise he seems normal and happy and healthy, but I know that if this gets any worse he will feel terrible so I need to nip this in the bud extremely early.
I'm currently using jungle fungus clear for him, but will stop tomorrow if need be when I change his water.
Any further suggestions would be appreciated and I really hope Bob and Patriot get better soon.

(by the way, fantastic name for your betta. ;] lol it also happens to be my boyfriend's name.)
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #5 
Sarada

Blood worms are treats, not food. You should pick up some pellets.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Hey Lucy. you might wanna PM Oldfishlady and ask about the proper care again if she doesn't respond in a few days. She's really great at helping people. =]

I'm so sorry that patriot is getting finrot. Hope he gets better soon!
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #7 
Sarada

Bob is happy and eating well too and I've always done several water changes each week...lol I thought these guys were supposed to be easy.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #8 
LucyLoofa

Yes, they get sick rather easily for such "hardy fish"
I hope Bob's fins get better soon, and best of luck with keeping him healthy, though I see he has no trouble staying happy with a good owner like yourself. :)
Thanks for the advice too! I am getting him some pellets this Saturday when my boyfriend gets back home.
I had no idea blood worms were just treats, he definitely needs a better food source.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #9 
Sarada

That's what I have read here anyways, I'm just a rookie. I was told 3 pellets per day with the odd treat occasionally.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Most people feed their bettas twice a day, 2-3 pellets each time.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote