Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #1 
AmyK

Beta bloat

I think my Beta has bloat. I feed him 3 Beta Gold Bio Hikari pellets in the AM & PM. Right now I am fasting him. He is in a 5 gallon heated, filtered tank. His belly got so big - overnight. He is swimming a little funny and he stays at the bottom of his tank more than usual - but he will still come to the top occasionally.I have had him for over a year and he has a mystery snail for a tank mate. I added an air stone and put a little aquarium salt in his tank. He acts like he is starving. Any suggestions?
AmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #2 
Jayy

Bump^^
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Since bettas stomachs are the size of ONE of their eyes, it's VERY small. Overfeeding even a little bit will cause them to bloat. Also, pellets are dry and when they get wet, they expand. So if you don't pre-soak the pellets, they will expand in the bettas stomach causing them to bloat. Fasting him for a couple days will help lessen the swelling. You should pre-soak the pellets in water for 10-15 minutes before you give it to your betta to reduce bloating.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote