Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #1 
Jen9234

Exclamation It's all your fault

...that I went and got a betta. Seriously. I blame you all.

I'd only discovered them a few months ago and after some googling (gotta love google.) I came across this site which is amazing. You cannot begin to imagine how much time I've spent reading people's journals ect on here.

The way people here talk about these wonderful fish made come to realize something. My life's empty and meaningless without one! Ok, I may be being a tad dramatic.

I put off getting one for awhile, despite conveniently having all the equipment spare...until today that is.

I needed some stuff for my goldfish so off I went to the pet shop. Like every other pet lover I couldn't resist looking at the animals.

And there (s)he was. All on her lonesome, giving me this sad face. That was it. I rushed home, set everything up. Luckily, I already had a 4 odd gallon tank and cycled and ready.

I went back and went over to the tank and no fish! I was devastated, but then (s)he popped out of nowhere. (S)he been hiding at the top. Seriously, fish is like a ninja. I got some stress coat because I noticed a lot of people on here used it, some pellets and my fish!

One relatively painless bus ride, I put bag into the water to warm up then added some of the tank water before moving the fish into the tank who seemed unfazed by everything. I'd been a bit worried about the strength of my filter after reading people's troubles on here, but the fish is doing fine with it.

It's been a few hours so I fed the fish some pellets and had to pick loads out the water because I dropped about a million... -_-'

I know the basics on looking after my new betta, but everything else I'm a newbie so feel free to throw some knowledge at me.

It said standard betta on the tank so I have no idea what type of betta the fish is or the gender of my new fishy. Also, new fishy needs a name. Ideas?

Ok, enough rambling, time for pictures!!
Attached Images

Jen9234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #2 
Jonthefish

Hiya ! Your fish is a male veil tail betta . He's so cute !
If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me or anyone else on here ! ( we don't bite ... Often !!! XD lol ! )

As for names , mabye prince , or thunder ? Rainstorm ?
Jonthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #3 
Jen9234

Jonthefish -Thanks! I just read the thread betta tails and colours by ChristinaRoss so I just figured that out. :)
Old 08-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #4 
hrutan

Hi and welcome to the forum! You have a lovely new fish, there. Yep, definitely a male veiltail betta. I'm not sure of the color. Right now, he looks like steel, but they often color up when they are finally in good conditions, and he could very well be black.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #5 
Jen9234

hrutan - Thanks. I googled steel veiltail and he looks a lot like that except darker at the moment, but as you said depending on the conditions he could change. Also, I love your journal!

I quite like the name Cerin. It means little dark one.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:15 AM   #6 
hrutan

That has a nice ring to it - is it pronounced with a hard or soft C? And eek, thanks.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:57 AM   #7 
Veloran

Hi and welcome to the forums. My first little guys looked like him, a little darker but he will probably color up a bit.

And yes, it's our fault, we're enablers and proud of it.
Veloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:23 AM   #8 
Jen9234

hrutan - I had to Google the name to find out how it was pronounced and it's with a soft c so it's said S-erin. I love choosing names with a connected meaning. It was either that or Shadow or if he coloured maybe Sonic would've been more appropriate? :p

I have a fantail called Goldeen so I would've been continuing the whole name my fish after video game character themes.

Veloran - Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to join the ranks.

On another note while I was in the pet shop. A family were buying a few goldfish and the worker kept calling them temporary fish?
Old 08-17-2014, 03:42 AM   #9 
myexplodingcat

Maybe they were trying to use it to cycle a tank or something? A risky method, but sometimes pet store employees suggest crazy stuff.
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:00 AM   #10 
Jen9234

myexplodingcat- That was my first thought whether the family know about cycling and such I don't know. I disklike the idea of using certain fish just to cycle the tank to make way for the 'pretty' fish. They're still living beings. I hope they make it!

Cerin/Shadow (I still don't know) is doing good. He loves his viking helmet. I can never see him when he's in there as he blends in that well! I fed him some pellets and he carried one round for ages. I tried to take a picture but he wouldn't co-operate. -_-

Tags
new betta, newbie