Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #1 
a123andpoof

What do you do with the fry once they grow up?

I would like to breed bettas eventually, maybe like next year sometime if I can get the money and my dad to sign off on it. But I am just curious what everyone does with the fry once they grow up? If I ever do breed it would just be some bettas from some lps. So its not like I could sell them for a lot. I would not do it for the money. More for like an experiance type thing, but I want to only breed responsibly. Yes I realize it is a huge commitment, and that is why I am starting to study now.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

Before you breed, I would ask around and see if any people you know would like bettas. Also (and ONLY if your pet store takes good care of their bettas- They have a lot of room to swim in, colorful, fed well, clean water, etc.) ask if your pet store would be interested in taking some.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Good that you are thinking ahead on a very important step...

I am one that believes that everyone should spawn Bettas at least once, great experience that can lead to different and more difficult species

An average spawn for a new hobbyist is usually about 30 fry to adult stage or point that you have to cup the males

I would talk with the owners at your local ma & pa type pet shop and see if they have any interest in any Betta offspring you spawned, don't expect much for them if anything, most will give a store credit.
Be aware that sometimes they will be used as feeders- especially if they are mutts.......

Craigslist

Friends and family

Online...at tropical fish forms that have buy & sell section, however, shipping will be the big cost to either you or the buyer....not to mention the cost of shipping boxes, bags...etc......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #4 
a123andpoof

Okay, thanks. Those are all good ideas. I am still working on the research and probally won't breed for at least a year, if I can convince my dad to let me set up a tank in the basement.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

Also be prepared that you may have to cull certain fish. This is really hard for some people to do.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #6 
a123andpoof

What do mean by cull?
Old 05-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Culling means to kill unwanted or deformed fry. Its a fact of life in breeding. There are going to be fry that are way too deformed and will never have a happy life and the best thing is to put them out of their misery. There are also breeders who will cull fish that are perfectly healthy because they only have room for the best of the fry. It sounds really harsh but when your breeding an animal that can theoretically have 300+ babies its something you just have to do.

Culling can also mean getting rid of fry that are still pretty healthy but just aren't show or breeder quality. Many breeders adopt out fish like this for free as long as the adopter pays shipping.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #8 
tumtum

What methods are usually used for this? I hope I dont have too, but Im sure I could probaly do it.
tumtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

When I cull, I usually feed them to other fish......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #10 
a123andpoof

Okay. Thank you for explaining that. I am pretty sure I could do that. Thanks for all the info!