Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

I'm in a nightmare

Last night I got home late, went and took a nap and woke up about midnight. I'd forgotten to feed Bella so I went out to her dog pen to bring her in.

What I saw is something no one should ever have to see. My baby was paralyzed. She dragged both back legs behind her as she tried to get to me. I picked her up (all 55 lbs of her) and carried her inside. We called the e-vet and took her in. They said that we needed to drive her up to University of Georgia (where they have a veterinary school). So we headed up there.

They told us they were going to do some imaging and would let us know what is going on. We got back home around seven am. I was so upset that I was physically ill. I've been crying since I found Bella in her pen.

They did surgery for a ruptured disk in her spine and she's now in recovery. She'll stay at the hospital for five days or more depending on how well she recovers.

I'm so upset. I'm not ashamed to say I love Bella more than all my fish combined. She truly is my baby. I couldn't love her more than if I'd given birth to her myself. She has a good chance of full recovery, now only time will tell.

I'm going to be moving home this summer. I was supposed to go help my sister out for two weeks but there is no way I'm leaving Bella. I still have fish in Savannah so I'm going to have to drive down there and get my stuff at some point next week.

I'm so emotionally, mentally, and physically drained. I'm in a nightmare. I'm so glad my cat, Malo is here. He hasn't left my side since I got home. I feel better having him to hold and cry on.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

Ahh! That sounds so scary! I'm so sorry, but glad that Bella's going better..... I feel so bad for both of you.... I hope you feel better, as well!
Lots of hugs!
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Wow...so sorry, I hope she gets better......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #4 
bloo97

So sorry! I hope Bella is okay! ((hug))
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #5 
Zenandra
Banned

I am so sorry!!! Your baby will be in my prayers!! *Hug* PM me if you need to talk!!
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #6 
willow

)))))))hugs((((((( for you hun and i'll put Bella in my prayers.
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Thanks guys. I don't know what to do with myself right now. I cleaned a couple of the fish tanks and I guess I'll do the rest even though they don't need it. I was going to disinfect the 55 I picked up yesterday but of course it started raining.

I'm hoping I can go see her in a few days. She'll be in the hospital for 5-7 days or more if it takes her longer to recover. They want to make sure she's walking again before we bring her home.

I don't know if I ever put a picture of Bella on here or not but here she is... smiling like always.

and one without laser eyes..
Old 06-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #8 
Zenandra
Banned

She's gorgeous!! What breed??
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

She's a Boxer mix. All I know is that her mom was a boxer (I don't know if she was pure bred but I think she was). No one knows who her father was but I'm thinking he was some sort of small Pit Bull or Am Staff mix. She has a very Pit Bull shaped body but has a Boxerish head (except not as smushed in the face).
Old 06-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #10 
xswornxoffxjello

I'm so sorry! I hope she gets better soon.
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote