Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #11 
vaygirl

She's so sweet! I'm so sorry Jackie. That's such a trauma for both of you. *hugs*
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #12 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm so sorry! :( That must've been so scary! I hope she recovers fast.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry, Jackie!! That must have been horrible to find her like that. Get well soon, Bella!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #14 
1fish2fish

Thanks everyone. I'm slowly starting to feel better about the whole ordeal. I talked to my sister and she said a couple of her friends have had dogs go through the same surgery with great success. This sort of thing usually happens in breeds like Dachshunds and Basset hounds... long backed breeds. Its very odd that it happened to Bellie but what the vet says is that there is nothing we could have done to prevent it.

Its going to be a long recovery. I'm going to have to make sure she stays quiet and doesn't jump up on stuff or run (which is going to be really hard).

I guess the one good thing you can say about the whole thing is that since I'm moving home and won't be going to Miami I'll be able to spawn in a couple of weeks! All I have to do is order the food.

Thanks again for all the well wishes. I will keep you all posted. I'm hoping to be able to go and see her on Monday. I'll be bringing her squeeky squirrel :)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #15 
doggyhog

Oh my gosh!!!! How scary!! I can't imagine if that happened to my dog.. And he's not even mine to keep!

Glad she's OK, keep us updated!!!!!!!!!!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #16 
CodeRed

I can't imagine how horrible that must've been... I'm sorry to hear it, but glad it looks like she'll be okay. (: Keep us updated...
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #17 
1fish2fish

Bella Update:

The student in charge of taking care of her left a message this morning saying Bella was doing well. She feels pain in her back legs which is a great sign. They're keeping her in ICU again tonight to monitor her and her bladder. I'm not sure when I'll be able to visit. Hopefully she'll get out of ICU in the next day or so then I'll talk to my mom about making a trip up there. Its 80 miles so its a big drive but I just don't know if I can wait a week.

The deal with Bella's bladder is that it may be a while before she has control over it. Basically she is unable to pee, instead of peeing uncontrollably. I will have to "express her bladder" to help her to pee until she recovers a little more.

They won't let Bella out of the hospital until she is walking somewhat. I'm just praying it is soon.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #18 
ThePearlFish

don't be ashamed to think that you love your dog more than anything. I feel the same way about my dog, she is my soulmate and my baby as if I had given birth to her myself too.

I hope your pup recovers well :( I can only imagine what you are going through right now.

maybe the doctor can give you some calming or somewhat tranquilizing pills to keep her quiet for a bit.

hugs!
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #19 
CodeRed

Agreed w/ Pearl. It's good you're not ashamed, because we'd be pretty lousy people if we were mad that you value your dog more than your fish. It's the same with me and my cats and snakes. I LOVE them, and would cry if they died. I'd be heartbroken. I love them, it's just the fact that they're so much more tangible than fish. You can touch, and bond, and /love/ them. They're so different than our fish.

Glad to hear (never thought I`d say this) that she can feel pain in her legs! Good luck, again.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #20 
mysquishy

She is so beautiful. I hope she heals quickly. Sorry you had to go through this it must be really hard on you.
mysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote