Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #1 
ThePearlFish

Okkayy guys (plus a Q)...

So, I have decided at this time I cannot manage my big 55g with all the dividers and bettas constantly getting into each others sections and the hassle of having to clean it which is really difficult when you only have a manual siphon, a bucket and can't get the siphon to pour water back INTO the tank, so you have to manually pour water in yourself.

But I cannot BEAR to give up my fish, I am too attached to them (I was thinking about it, but I cried cus I loved them too much) and so I am just going to downsize again. I know I had a smaller set up before I upgraded, but unfortunately I made an oops with this 55g tank. My poor Lyre is shredded from fin to fin and the others have a few rips too (except Speedbump and the fish that live in his section are okay).

the dividers move when I pour water into the tanks and that is how everyone keeps getting hurt. I just can't take the stress anymore!

SOOO,

Speedbump and his friends are getting a nice 10g.

And I am going to try to get the 4 others a 2.5g each.

It will be a lot easier with h2o changes for me and everyone will be safe from everyone else.

so my Question:

I have a 5.66 Liter (in gallons I believe it is rounded close to 1.5 gallons?)

and for now my shredded boy Lyre is occupying it, and most likely will stay in it for monetary convenience (I am broke and whatever I get my my tank and other stuff I am going to be using to set up the smaller tanks and whatever I have from what I a using right now I am going to use that too.)

so how do I heat it? I believe that our house's constant temp. right now with air conditioning is around 74 degrees, is there a small light or something that can be used with the KK to raise the water temp several degrees. Any ideas??

Lyre is up in the loft right now since during summer it is the hottest room in the house and I haven't checked the h2o temp. yet, but I will get my digital probe thermometer and check it soon.

oh! oops, I guess I have 2 Questions:

How do you all heat your 2.5g's again? What do you think is the best and cheapest way to do it?

thanks, guys!

Last edited by ThePearlFish; 06-07-2010 at 05:31 PM.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

You can use the Tetra 50W heater, it's meant to heat up 2-5 gal but it has a thermostat so it doesnt overheat the water... that's what I have.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #3 
ThePearlFish

Quote:
You can use the Tetra 50W heater, it's meant to heat up 2-5 gal but it has a thermostat so it doesnt overheat the water... that's what I have.
it's ok for plastic?

eta- ooh, you mean your 2.5g's! silly me! sorry. ok I'll look into it thanks! :)

Last edited by ThePearlFish; 06-07-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

Yes, it's safe on plastic. The heater has a suction cup that keeps it away from the walls of the tank and a rubber covered tip. My heaters in no way touch the plastic so they are safe.
Yes, It works even in the 1 gallon tanks which was what I initially had up until a week ago. I mean the heater is made to be used in tanks size 2gallons to 5 gallons.
It's actually lower that when I bought it on Amazon, just under $10!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I have the Tetra heaters in all of my 2.5Gs and I love them.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #6 
ThePearlFish

OK great! I am going to purchase them for my tanks and kritter keeper then. :)

oh and maybe great news! On CL there was a 10g tank near where my parents live and if the person still has it, then my mom is going to get it for me for my community fish and Speedbump. I REALLY hope the person still has it, the ad was posted yesterday. This means I only need to sell a few more items and can start buying and setting up my new tanks.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #7 
ThePearlFish

Well, I might get a 10g for 15.00! the person I mentioned above never emailed my mom back, so ehh 5 bucks more expensive isn't bad especially since it has a hood and comes with a filter and other stuff! so pray for good luck for me! :)

I HAD a lady interested in my 55g I posted for $100, but she said she found a $75 and if that falls through she will consider my tank. So, hopefully it falls through. -blush- I kinda feel bad saying that but I need the cash for this project. My poor Lyre is cold in his 74.4 degree water!

I wonder if petco or petsmart sells that Tetra 50w heater. I couldn't find it on the website and I don't want to pay for the shipping or extra for a faster delivery.

Lyre is very lively when a song with an awesome beat comes on. he swims to the side the stereo is playing. :P He is on my desk in the loft, and I have had a light on him all day but it didn't raise the temp. :(

on the bright side, I have a 50w visitherm heater that I would be able to use if I got a small lass tank for one of my other fishes.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #8 
mfskarphedin

People on here have said that Walmart carries the Tetra heater. Try there?
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah that's where I got my heaters, from Walmart.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #10 
ThePearlFish

oh okay good, I believe there is a walmart close by to here. whew!