Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #1 
Kato Aaron

Question the fry

I always get the fry then they all die.

so.. how do i change water without hurting them?
how do i make sure they dont get diseases?
what other than bbs do i need to feed them?

How do you keep them alive? Im going to spawn in a few days and I'm getting anxious so I'm curious, what are your methods?
Kato Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

go to www.bettysplendens.com and read her articles on raising fry. They really helped me.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #3 
Allenbetta

It's not easy raising a fry,the baby needed to be fed by living microorganisms. Some expertises involved.
Allenbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #4 
SweetnSpicy

so.. how do i change water without hurting them? You shouldn't really do a w/c until they are at least a month old. Even then, unless the water is the exact same parameters, you could still risk hurting your fry. You should use a drip system to add water, and siphon the bottom and uneaten food daily.

how do i make sure they dont get diseases?
Keeping the water clean. This is probably the key thing. Make sure that you siphon the bottom and use aged water from a drip system. But, make sure the tank/bucket/tub/ect. you are taking this water from is well established and there are NO fish in it, only plants.

what other than bbs do i need to feed them? Microworms, Walter worms, Banana worms, Grindal worms, Vinegar eels. I wouldn't feed BBS until they are old enough so the smallest fry can eat them, because i know that the BBS was huge compared to my newly free swimming fry. Invest in a few cultures. Microworms are my personal favorite. BBS also loose almost all of their nutritional value within the first day after they are hatched.

Hope I was some help! :)
SweetnSpicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I have success in raising fry, prevention of disease and promotion of healthy growth and development by making 50-80% daily water changes once I start feeding them.
I start feeding my fry about 3 days after they are free swimming, they are free swimming around 3 days after hatch and they eat the microorganism and infusoria that are already in the mature spawning tank.
I start adding live foods-NHBBS and supplement BBS, white worms, daphnia, seed shrimp.
Once I add live foods I start making daily water changes.
I use a homemade siphon that I made from 3ft airline hose and two chop sticks twist tied to make about 24in to the air line hose, the chop sticks help make it easier to control and I use my thumb as the control valve, I have an old ice cream bucket that I siphon the water into and then use a flash light to check for fry that I siphoned out by accident and re-siphon them back to the tank.
I add new fresh like temp water back to the tank with the homemade siphon and gravity until they are about 3 weeks of age and then I gently add the water back with a jug.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-06-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #6 
Kato Aaron

okay :] thank you all that was all very useful!!
Kato Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #7 
truthequalslies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I use a homemade siphon that I made from 3ft airline hose and two chop sticks twist tied to make about 24in to the air line hose, the chop sticks help make it easier to control and I use my thumb as the control valve, I have an old ice cream bucket that I siphon the water into and then use a flash light to check for fry that I siphoned out by accident and re-siphon them back to the tank.
could you post a tutorial of some sort on ur home made siphon im intrigued ^-^ hehe
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthequalslies View Post
could you post a tutorial of some sort on ur home made siphon im intrigued ^-^ hehe
I made a new thread with pic of my homemade siphon
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If you only want to make water change:
take a small net with fine holes, put in some sort of sinker and siphon in that net. That way you won't accidently siphon out any fry.

But if you need to clean out leftovers, the above method should be used.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #10 
ashitaka6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
go to www.bettysplendens.com and read her articles on raising fry. They really helped me.
Says article doesn't exist now. Like won't load the page.
ashitaka6 is offline   Reply With Quote