Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #31 
sjones

That's a brilliant idea!

BTW how's your shrimp experiment going?
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #32 
kuklachica

In my experience, 5 gallons are not hard to maintain a cycle. I am maintaining a cycle in my 3 gallons with no problems thus far. From what I've read on various forums, it's when you get to 2.5 and smaller that it's difficult. It all depends on surface area, water movement, and stocking. The smaller the tank, the less surface area you have to house the good bacteria. Not enough bacteria = not keeping up with breaking down the ammonia = leftover ammonia still in the water. I haven't heard anyone having any problems with a 5 gallon. But you WILL need a filter. I can't remember if you mentioned that in your list of things you have/will need. I would recommend the 5 gallon kit from Walmart. The 5 gallon critter keepers will run you about $16.99 and are a pain in the you know what to make dividers for because they taper down at the base. This 5 gallon kit is great and easy to make a divider for and comes with a filter, all for $30. Definitely worth it. But remember to check your local Craigslist. I just scored a 10 gallon with fluorescent hood, heater, and filter for $15 yesterday.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #33 
sjones

wow-what a deal!
Good point on the critter keeper, divider idea,
Yes i do need a filter.
I will check out the Walmart kit, is the filter adjustable (current wise)?
Thank you
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #34 
kuklachica

I don't think it's made to be adjustable, but you can make a filter baffle easily by cutting up a plastic soda bottle... search "filter baffle" in the search section on here and there must be a post somewhere.

Edit: I had to make a divider for a critter keeper to keep my guys in while cycling my tank. Trust me, it was not worth the time and effort to make it. It was ridiculous and also not very secure due to trying to "eye-ball" how much to cut, etc., to make it fit the base.

BTW, Do you know how to make a divider?

Last edited by kuklachica; 06-09-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #35 
JKfish

The water in my tank has cleared up and is no longer murky, but the shrimp has some sorta white fuzzy stuff growing from it, and whatever it is looks sorta like white translucent fur. I just added some special filteration rocks from my dad's established indoor pond, and also a bit of benificial bacteria dust stuff. Hopefully that'll help boost the tank's colony of bacteria.

However, I'm having a small dilema. The anubias nana has these little brown blobs on it, and I think the blobs are eating it O_o . I noticed one when I first bought it and rinsed it in tap water, but thought nothing of it, but that little brown blob has moved under the top portion of the stem, and has moved slowly downwards, leaving a small ditch in the stem behind it. And now there are more little brown things in the roots and sorta clustered at the base of the plant. Any idea what they are?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #36 
sjones

no.sounds scary!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #37 
JKfish

:P Knowing myself, the plant is just sorta peeling, and the brown blobs are just some really weird sort of algae. I have some pictures, but they're probably too big, and I can't figure out how to post pictures here.

Last edited by JKfish; 06-09-2010 at 10:35 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #38 
sjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
I don't think it's made to be adjustable, but you can make a filter baffle easily by cutting up a plastic soda bottle... search "filter baffle" in the search section on here and there must be a post somewhere.

Edit: I had to make a divider for a critter keeper to keep my guys in while cycling my tank. Trust me, it was not worth the time and effort to make it. It was ridiculous and also not very secure due to trying to "eye-ball" how much to cut, etc., to make it fit the base.

BTW, Do you know how to make a divider?
I've seen a DIY divider somewhere made with binder holders, aq sealant and plastic mesh, any ideas??
Old 06-10-2010, 04:56 AM   #39 
mfskarphedin

That 5-gal looks like a nice kit. With a Tetra heater, it looks perfect.

I read in one review that you can "pull up the black tube," or something like that, to reduce the flow of the filter. Check out the reviews on the site.
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:21 AM   #40 
kuklachica

sjones - you're in Maine?? Where?? I'm in ME too! I have a 20 gallon I'm trying to sell - want it??? :):)