Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #51 
JKfish

okay, I bleached the plant, and it looks like the blobs aren't bugs, or algae, but rather raised sorta bumpy rotting parts of the plant. :P I picked at some parts with a tooth pick, and managed to scrape off some of it. Do you have any idea why my plant would be rotting? The plant is floating in a bucket of water by a lamp at the moment.

So, if it isn't algae, or bugs, but rather is just sorta rotting in patches, and looking at my aquarium, I don't see any algae, so I think it's safe, then I don't have to bleach it, or do you think it's a good idea to go ahead and bleah anyways?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:34 AM   #52 
mfskarphedin

Ahh, rot. It's was the "raised" bit that threw me off, since when I've had Anubias rot, it was always sunken in. So, no, I wouldn't bleach the whole tank, then. I'll take a little bit of a look around about rot, since I'm kinda bored, and I have wads of Anubias...

Ok, here's a good thread I came across: http://forums.tfhmagazine.com/viewto...p?f=89&t=22534

Personally, cutting back was the only thing I did to get rid of it, since the rot I encountered originated at cut ends of rhizomes. But if it's a tiny plant, there's maybe nothing to save with that method. Plus, with it breaking out in patches, there's got to be some general condition causing it.

You're cycling, right? What's the temp? If it's over about 78F, I'd put my money on that. Combined with a possible lack of light in the original tank, it might just be dying off from conditions.

But, if it's fungus like the thread mentioned, I think the dip should have helped.

Lettuce see how it goes after the dip, with good temps and good light...?

(hah, i make funny)
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #53 
JKfish

Yeah, I'm cycling. THe tank is heated at 80 degrees exactly, and I'm using shrimp (which is now completely covered with that translucent whiteish stuff) and I just took out some seashells I now just noticed that my little siblings tossed in (I wonder how long those were in there :P)

It's not humongous, but it's far from tiny. I think it'll survive me shaving off thin pieces of the parts that're starting to rot. About the lighting, how well lit should it be? I don't have an aquarium light, the best I could probably do is bring it to my dad's store (he has these huge grow lights that're pinkish purple and specifically designed for growing plants quickly) and put it with his other plants. But, it's really bright, and I've heard anubias die when but under too intense light. (hehehe, I love the occasional pun)

Well, I just shaved off some of the pieces and pinched off some of the roots that seem to have started rotting. Of the 8 healthy leaves, 3 fell off, but that's alright, they were the ones that had the most amount of rotting at the base.

Oh, and Sjones, I'm sorry, but it seems I've completely taken over your topic.

Last edited by JKfish; 06-12-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #54 
JKfish

Oh, also, it's was one of those petsmart tube plants, which means it was grown above water, could that be a reason why it started to rot? and there are new bits of young roots growing from the old roots, which is a good sign. I couldn't get all of the rot off some of the roots, so there still is some here and there, but I'm hoping it'll clear up. Can I return it to the tank if I lower the heat to something like 77 or 78?

Last edited by JKfish; 06-12-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #55 
sjones

I'd like to blame petsmart as well..

Not at all the mystery of the plant issue has made for some thrilling reading :) and you're my virtual shrimp eroding tester!

I think I have decided to buy a ten gallon and split and share one good heater.
I might start the cycling process this summer and move the fish into there this fall, as I am moving this fall and will have to move the tank as well, might as well get it all cycled and kosher before the move and THEN put the fish in after :), Also I will be able to have a long quarantine time for the new guys to make sure they are in top fin!
I may plant the tank too, so this info is helpful.
I actually want to ask SaylorK if their tank is going well with the moss on the bottom like a carpet..I want that!! and a ton of marimo balls! and! and!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #56 
JKfish

XD okay. I really wish I could test the water and tell you how far into the cycling process I am, but I STILL haven't managed to get myself the API Master Test Kit. :P Hopefully, I'll get it soon and see if the end is near.

The marimo balls sound cool, and so does the moss carpet idea, I'd do both as well if it weren't for the fact that I love my sand. I brought it all the way from destin florida from when I went on a trip, so it's that pure white quarts, and I know it's safe for my tank because I washed it in scalding hot water so many times I lost count, and I my dad sterilized it before putting it in my tank.

Last edited by JKfish; 06-12-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #57 
sjones

You has sand?
Jealousy!!! Plus it's probably the last of the white sand from Florida for a while.
I can have moss and sand right>? Post a photo of the tank if you can.

Also, let's see how much trouble I can get into for posting this PETA investigation into Petsmart link!
Old 06-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #58 
JKfish

:P Yeah, I probably got the sand in the nick of time, by the time my family left to go back home, I heard that the oil from the oil spill was like 9 miles away from florida :( I'll try to post a pic, but for the most part, my tank is barren

D: that's horrible! I tried to watch the video, and had to stop halfway through. I can't believe my family has ever bought small animals and birds from petsmart! I'm never buying their small animals again!
Old 06-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #59 
sjones

I applies to betta too, :(
Old 06-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #60 
JKfish

we don't know that for certain, though it'd be nice to know where they got their bettas from