Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2010, 11:08 PM   #1 
akjadestar

It seems like EVERYTHING is wrong with Venus...

Well yeah since his bad accident... Venus has taken a turn... for the worst. I don't think I could find something that ISN'T wrong with him. His tail and fins and clamped together and he won't flare no matter what, he's went from bright red to dark red and almost brown, around his gills has turned gray/silvery, his eyes are kinda clouded, he has dark flecks all over his face which shouldn't be there, his pelvic fins have shortened, his missing scales from the accident STILL haven't shown any signs of healing, he's often floating on his side and moves once you gently tap the glass, he hardly moves and when he does he's darting and slithering around.
This weekend my friend (the one who bought me Venus for my birthday .) came over and when she looked at him said he was clearly suffering and that I should flush him. I knew that most fish lived through it and then the suffered in the awful water and I told her so but she said he was so weak the impact from the flush would probably kill him, I had even told my friend I would almost be a bit relieved if Venus could die soon, because I hate to see him in all his suffering, but just like I said to my dad after his accident with the terra cotta pot "If he has to die, let him do it in a familiar, happy place." and I said that I felt maybe I hadn't tried hard enough to help him so flushing him just wouldn't feel right... believe me, I was almost tempted though, awful as it sounds.
All I think I can do other than clean water and salt is maybe I should try a bit of medicine. I am sort of scared though because last time I gave him some medicine (MelaFix) it went awful. I have a bottle of Bettafix Remedy left from when I had my first betta, but I've had it for a little over 3 years.. and my last fish had died after I used it though my mom thought it was cause I overdosed or that my fish never even needed the medicine in the first place. So I'm worried to give Venus some but would it be alright?
Another thing, I just have a feeling it's not good to keep bettas in fairly big tanks when they are sick (Venus is in a 3 gallon) And I'm considering moving him into a 2 gallon bowl for a while, while I possibly give him some medication. Oh yeah, and if the medicine I have is too old, should I just buy a new bottle? I mean, is it good medicine and would it possibly help him. Or what other medicine would come in handy? Thanks for the help
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #2 
creamcookie

Cloudy eyes-could be caused by bacterial infection
shortened fin-possible fin rot
dark flecks-do they look like an external parasite?

Don't flush him, stick it out till the end.
Here's a site, I found it helpful maybe it'll help you, hope Venus feels better!
http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm
creamcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:34 PM   #3 
akjadestar

Don't worry I don't think I can have the heart to flush him... it was hard though my friends were like: I guess you wanna make your poor fish suffer... *sigh* I don't think they understand...
Old 06-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Melafix and Bettafix are one of the most controversial medications. Bettafix is just a watered down version of Melafix. I've heard good and bad things about them, but mostly bad. Usually after using that their fish dies, but who knows if it was the actual medication that killed them or them just being too sick. I usually use medication as a last resourt because like humans, they can get bad reactions to it.

What happened in the accident you're refering to? Could you take some pictures of him?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #5 
akjadestar

That was way back when his head was stuck in the bottom of the terra cotta pot... and sure I'll take some pictures but right now I'm busy (supposed to be) doing homework... I just had to come here and check for responses
Old 06-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #6 
vaygirl

As long as you can heat the smaller tank you could move him but fish don't heal very well without a heater. Especially if their immunity is already low.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:58 AM   #7 
metalbetta

I'm pretty sure you know this already, but never listen to friends who have no idea what they're talking about. ever.

Flushing your betta would be incredibly painful for him and you both. I'm pretty sure it's common sense that sewer water (which has who knows what in it) would be a terrible way for anything to die.
Just like you said above, if it's his time, let him pass in a familiar, happy place. I'm not expert on diseases, but I'm sure these guys can help you out with just about anything when it comes to that ;)
Best thing I can say is to make him as comfortable as possible, no matter what he's going through!

Hoping for the best over here, good luck!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #8 
akjadestar

Little update:
Well he's not doing much better, he's always floating on his side at the surface, If I weren't already used to him doing that by now I would have thought he'd be dead. Getting ready to do a 50 percent WC real soon.

Here's some pictures:

Before:

Now:

Poor lad :(
so anyone have any ideas other than water changes? like any good medications?

Last edited by akjadestar; 06-10-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Hmmm. Does he have any scales that are protruding?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #10 
akjadestar

No protruding scales, but as you can see some are still missing from the top of his head.

Another thing I noticed... his ventral fins... they've gotten short, one of them looks almost gone, the other is like, half gone.... ):