Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #11 
FireKidomaru

wow poor guy... i think water changes and a heater will help him or atleast make him comfortable
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #12 
SilverCaracal

He might have fin rot, SBD, and velvet. Do a 100% WC and make sure the temp is 80 degrees.

Oak leaves are great for fin rot, but make sure the leaves are brown and naturally fallen and don't have pesticides on them. If he's bloated, then fast him for a couple of days.

As for velvet, I would use 12 drops per gallon of bettazing and add aquarium salt. Don't use bettazing unless you are 100% sure he has velvet. If he looks like he's covered in rust mist, then he has velvet.
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #13 
akjadestar

Awww the oak leaves sound like a great idea, regrettably, there's a lack of oak trees in my area, and here leaves are just starting to grow, they're not falling off yet...
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #14 
1fish2fish

Whatever you do DON'T flush him. That is incredibly inhumane. Most fish live through a flushing and end up dieing in the sewage system.

If you feel he needs to be euthanized get clove oil and research how to correctly euthanize him. Only after he is dead is it acceptable to flush him if that is how you get rid of dead fish.

Personally, If he is doing as bad as you say it is and he seems in pain I would humanely euthanize him.

If he seems to be doing better try treating him with Jungle Fungus Clear to see if that clears up some of the spots on him.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #15 
akjadestar

You think I should do so?

I know he's suffering, still, I'll feel so bad...
Old 06-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #16 
1fish2fish

To be perfectly honest, I would :( I know its really hard but if you don't think he'll make it then its probably best to put him out of his misery. But if you think he has a chance to pull through then I would keep fighting.

Medication is really hard on fish and its possible he won't pull through anyway. It really all depends on the fish.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #17 
akjadestar

I think... I might give it a while. Maybe if he's not better (or doing worse) by the end of the month, then it's time...
Old 06-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #18 
1fish2fish

Sounds good. In the meantime try to diagnose what he's got going on.. ich, velvet, parasites, columnaris, dropsy, etc... I'd recommend doing a treatment of Jungle Fungus Clear to start off as well as trying to buy some antibiotic foods.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #19 
akjadestar

My oh my... if only I had enough money... atm I only have about 7 dollars cause I lent out some money to people... but by the time people pay me back I should have almost 20. Should I buy a couple antibiotics or a new heater (since the current one is rubbish and is only heating up about 74 degrees?)
Old 06-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #20 
1fish2fish

Definitely get the new heater.. that is most important.