Fish Emergency!! Please help!

Fish Conditions:
Water heater
2 Gallon Glass Tank
No Filter
Live Plants
Male Betta
I got him around 20 weeks ago
PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, Alkalinity, Ammonia and PH are okay. PH is a little high, but he's survived on those conditions his whole life so far.

History: I got my fish in GA, where he's been for 20 weeks. Last week I came home from college, transported my fish all the way to VA. I transported him in his old GA water in a bag. He has always used tap water, conditioned with about 3 different types of water conditioner, though for the past month he's been on Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus. I brought him back to VA, and conditioned some tap water with Aqueon. I put him in the same tank he had back in GA. It was a 50% water change. He was 100% okay.

A week passed, and tonight was his water changing night. Now here's the thing: I began to condition his water in a plastic tub I found in the garage. I had washed out the tub, but not with hot/boiling water, nor with any soaps. I just washed it, and wiped it down. It used to have electronics in the tub. I conditioned the water, and put a lid on it for a little over one day. (I usually condition his water a day in advance). I put him in his new water with only one cup of his old water. (its a 2 gallon tank) Since i put him in, he started acting horribly lethargic, completely motionless at hte bottom of his tank.

So my friend said it was water poisoning from the plastic. I quickly changed his water, put him into a new cup of water... now it looks like he's just dying. Floating near the top. This is it, Please, I need IMMEDIATE help. TnT
ThirdPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #2 
JamieTron

Do you know if any of the electronics were broken or perhaps like batteries leaked inside the container? Also some plastics leak into the water and contaminate it. I used water jugs to condition my water in back when I was in college just because I knew they would not leak. Perhaps you could use two 1 litre jugs next time.

Do you know if there was a drastic temperature change experienced?

ALSO I had a horrid incident where my first betta was okay with conditioned tap water at school but when I went back to my home town the tap water was too hard and I lost him. It could be your tap water too.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #3 
ThirdPotato

Praise the LORD!!! He made it out!!!!

Well so here's how it went. He was looking real bad in his tank, I figured it was due to the plastics just having some bad chemical, so I conditioned tap straight from the sink, and put him in that. Still he looked on the verge of death. Surfacing to the very top and just floating there, barely hanging on. In a last ditch effort I had my dad go out at midnight to the gas station for spring water, conditioned that, adjusted the temp and put him in.

At first it looked like he was officially dead. He just sank. and sat there for a long time. Motionless. I thought that was it for him, and my dad kept talking to the fish, encouraging him to move, and I was like "dad, it's not going to help...." but my fish surfaced for air, so I figured he 's not dead! I began to encourage him too, and he literally began to get better! He first began to move his fins. Then his gills. Then he began to surface for air again. Then he began to drift, then swim! And before long, he made a recovery in half an hour, fully better!!!

We prayed, and it was nothing short of a miracle! It was a great combination of prayer, SPRING WATER, and really encouraging my fish. I've always been a believer in being able to speak with animals, and I think this case really proved it.

Thank you so much for your reply on this topic! This whole community is really a Godsend!
ThirdPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:28 AM   #4 
sjones

Nice! Good job!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #5 
JamieTron

GREAT STORY!! I am so happy for you that your fish got better congrats!
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote