Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #1 
Kitty88

Snails?

I just got my first betta, he's being set up in a five gallon tank with a whisper ten filter and hopefully a hydor heater. I would lika to add a snail, as well. They'd be the only two tank mates.

What type of snail would be best? Also, how big would it have to be so as not to attract agressive behavior from Federigo, who's on the small side?
Kitty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #2 
Welsh

An apple snail maybe?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #3 
Kitty88

Thanks, I was researching this separately and decided on an apple too. My tank isn't exactly established though and I can't cycle it before putting him in. Should I hold off on the snail until the tank has settled, or will it be ok?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #4 
vaygirl

I'd hold off until it's cycled. Snails poo SO much, it would be better if you established the tank first to deal with the poo!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #5 
Kitty88

Ok, cool. And once it's cycled the filter will be able to handle all the poo? Also, federigo is in his 'cup' until the filter and heater are set up. How long should I run it before putting him in? (wasn't my idea to get him without a tank set up first)
Old 06-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #6 
vaygirl

I usually do mine on the same day, once the temp is where I want it in the tank. Sometimes that takes longer if you used cold water to fill it. I cut corners and use lukewarm water. Well, not really warm but not ice cold either, if you know what I mean?

Once your temp is where you want it, just make sure you acclimate him to the water. Float his cup in the tank and slowly replace the cup water with tank water until it's all tank water in the cup. Cup water removed goes in a seperate bowl to be discarded, not into the new tank. Then he can go in. I usually do 1/4 water replacement maybe every 10 minutes? So it's about a 40 minute process.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #7 
Kitty88

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I usually do mine on the same day, once the temp is where I want it in the tank. Sometimes that takes longer if you used cold water to fill it. I cut corners and use lukewarm water. Well, not really warm but not ice cold either, if you know what I mean?

Once your temp is where you want it, just make sure you acclimate him to the water. Float his cup in the tank and slowly replace the cup water with tank water until it's all tank water in the cup. Cup water removed goes in a seperate bowl to be discarded, not into the new tank. Then he can go in. I usually do 1/4 water replacement maybe every 10 minutes? So it's about a 40 minute process.
Actually (this is probably a newb mistake) I filled his tank a day ago when I got it, because I thought the water had to age. So his tank has been filled, and when I get the filter and heater today (finally!) I'm going to put the rest of his decorations in and get the filter and heater going. I heard heaters can fluctuate until they stabilize and that new filters need to be ran before introducing fish, which is why I was going to wait, but the sooner he's in the five gallon, the better. He looks so bored in that stupid little tank....
I was also going to get him some brine shrimp, but he hasn't really been eating much. I'd say he ate maybe two pellets yesterday, and only one so far today. Will the shrimp encourage him to eat, or is two or three pellets a day normal?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #8 
Welsh

It is recommended that you cycle a tank first but if your betta is in a cup then I would put him straight in, just make sure you do a 25% or 50% twice weekly =)
Old 06-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #9 
Kitty88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
It is recommended that you cycle a tank first but if your betta is in a cup then I would put him straight in, just make sure you do a 25% or 50% twice weekly =)
Oh, good! And the 25% to 50% water changes will still allow cycling to happen? I'm not too clear on the whole cycling thing. I'd love for him to be in the tank soon though, I feel bad everytime I see him in his little tank. It's actually 3/4 of a gallon, but it's still a bajillion times too small.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #10 
Welsh

As long as you dont do a 100% then your cycle will be fine =)