Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #11 
ThePearlFish

I went to walmart and they had the Tetra 50w but it was $14!! technically my total came to $15.75 sheesh! and I need 3 more!!! wow! The lady at petco was very informative. she sounds really experienced with fish and I overheard her giving all the correct info. to these two guys who were thinking about buying a pleco then goldfish.

the tetra 50w heaters at petco were $20 and petsmart didn't even have any.

I believe that 2.5g at petsmart are 13.99 (w/o tax) and they come with a little glass top. I just need to see if my area in the living room can hold a KK, a 10g, and three 2.5's. if so then I am going to go get 'em and have everything set up by the end of sunday!!! -happy dances-

edit- ohh, where are these cheap led lights that everyone on here keeps talkin' about?? :P
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #12 
ThePearlFish

ok so I think need ~10 more inches of space if I wanted to have all my tanks in a row :( but I'll see what I can do with the space I have first before I freak out that have no where to put my fishies.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #13 
mfskarphedin

Here's one, but not cheap! http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod.../7/product.web

This one's cheaper, but supplies are probably limited. I have to grab one soon!
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=17638
But the $9 s/h only seems worth it if you buy multiple lights.

There are bazillions of book clip-on LED lights, but they're usually not very bright, and they all run on batteries.

Oh, and I've seen this before: if you have all your tanks lined up, with glass lids, you can hang one long fluorescent strip light over them. Breeders/pet shops/etc do this.

Last edited by mfskarphedin; 06-09-2010 at 04:14 PM.
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #14 
ThePearlFish

yeesh, ya that 1st is ridiculous.

I am selling off my 55g strip light and my 20g Long hood so I won't have those anymore, but the hydor LED lights from Doctors Foster & Smith look like exactly what I'd want.

I need 4 so hopefully the S&H isn't too bad.

I forgot to add in my above posts that I bought Pimafix, which it says it made from Indian Bay Trees, I think I remember people talking about something similar to help heal fins so I am going to try it out. I have 4 out of 5 bettas that need it :( Lyre is completely shredded, Phantom's and Firedrake's fins are looking a bit ragged and Firefly has one tear. Only Speedbump is spotless.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #15 
ThePearlFish

so, I'd prefer the ones from drs F & S. ideally, but these are A LOT cheaper and I can just replace batteries when needed. Plus, it will save me from having to plug in a gazillion electrical cords. :)

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
Old 06-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #16 
mfskarphedin

If you kept those lights on 8 hrs a day, the batteries would not even last two weeks (ad states 100 hrs operation.) And that's probably with premium batteries. I'd go for the extra shipping and the extra cords for the Hydors, myself. The savings on batteries (not to mention toxic waste) would be well worth it, IMO.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #17 
ThePearlFish

hmm... I guess you are right. the crappy thing is I thought I could get all of these tanks set up for no more than 60 bucks and I am already pretty over budget. what sucks is that I have almost everything I need except three 2.5g's and 3 heaters and a few other knick knacks ughhh..
Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #18 
ThePearlFish

okay I placed that order.. it should be here in a week, it cost me 48 bucks!! I am soo even more broke now. :(
Old 06-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #19 
mfskarphedin

Tell me about it! I added up the cost for my 10 gal recently, which is put together from a bazillion pieces bought over the years, and it was well over $100, without a stand. Little things add up!

That's why I'm now a proponent of the Eclipse series and similar, especially the Eclipse 12 for those who are thinking of a 10 gallon tank. Might as well get something that's all sleek-looking in one package and save yourself the pain of buying everything separate (have to usually add a heater, though.) Theoretically, it's possible to get all decorations free from outside, and if you're patient and not picky, you can get free, unwanted fish off craigslist.

(10 gallon glass kits look like a bargain, but they usually have junk parts.)
Old 06-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #20 
ThePearlFish

This lady is selling me one of those ten gallons with those crappy hoods with the bad light and tiny rectangle you have to open in front. The thing is it is a great deal since she is selling it for $15.00 along with an algae scraper sponge thing with a few fake plants and some fish food plus a filter! even though I have a 20g filter I was gonna use for that tank. I am soo taking it cus it is the best deal yet.