Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #1 
dr2b

Exclamation HELP, betta sick?

I know it's been a while since I was on here... life has been extremely hectic the last 6 months or so. But last night I noticed Flair was sitting up in the left corner of his tank behind the heater and amazon sword leaves and beside the filter. I thought oh that is a new spot for him, he must be just hanging out there. I woke up this morning and he was there again. I began to think maybe it was the water. So I changed his water, and he came out from that spot since the water level dropped. I got to see him long enough that he didn't show anything abnormal on him. He went right back to the spot. He doesn't seem to be in any kind of distress. He is just hanging back there with his little front fins flapping. He is not gasping for air. He won't come out from that spot for food. Which is VERY unusual for him. He is a little piglet. This is just very unusual for him all the way around. He usually hangs in his cave or on the bottom right corner of the tank watching for people to come in. I'm wondering if it isn't old age? I have had him since May 2009. But of course, he is older than a year because he was not a little baby when I bought him at the pet store. I was wondering if I could get some opinions or ideas from anyone? I'm stumped since he is showing nothing physically wrong.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Since you did the water change and had been doing regular water changes, the temp is stable to rule out environment and he shows no outer problems...sadly it could be age related....

I would keep doing daily 50% water changes and keep his water temp in the 78-80F, offer him food and remove it if he doesn't eat it and keep him comfy.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #3 
Synthisis

Hun, I hope he's ok. Sorry about your horrible day... you really shouldnt lock yourself out of the house lol.

Remember though, when Betta's go to the petstore, they are 8months - 2 years old (in most cases.)

Everything happens for a reason, even if you dont like it... you told me that. Take Neptune for example... He shouldn't be alive right now, but hes still fat and spazzing around and pooping out his chest...

Im sure he'll be ok... Time to time one of my females will just float in a top corner.
Synthisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #4 
dr2b

He finally moved from the corner to his favorite corner on the right side (bottom) of the tank. But he is just not acting normal. He's very down looking... not even fully extending all his fins. It's like he is exhausted or something. I'm glad to see he finally moved positions though. He did flare up for us with a mirror... still not a totally full flare, but it's something right?

I will just keep the water changes daily and hope he gets a little better.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree, it could be age related.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #6 
Synthisis

At 1:30pm today Flair passed away.

Im very sorry hun.

<3
Synthisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry!! RIP Flair.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 AM   #8 
dr2b

Thanks guys. I'm glad he didn't suffer. Hate to say it, but he was my favorite of the two. :)