Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #1 
Oldfishlady

Homemade siphon

This is my homemade siphon: I use to clean my fry tanks and smaller tank.
3ft air line hose
2 chop sticks
twist tie
I place two chop sticks (24in) together and twist tie the air line hose to them.
I use my thumb as the control valve

Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

Sweet! =] I heard about doing this but I'd never seen a picture/tutorial before! If I ever decide to breed or keep a smaller tank I'm gonna use this! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #3 
truthequalslies

Ooooo :) how do you get it to suck? :)
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I use my mouth and suck on the end to get it started or you can to the dip method by plunging in up and down to get it started if you have enough distance from tank to bucket for gravity flow.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #5 
Shizzy

Nice!

I never thought about using the chopsticks. I have just been using a plain piece of air hose.
Shizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

The chop sticks help stiffen it and you have better control and you don't have to always get your hands wet...lol.....but I still do......laffs....

I re-designed one of them by using black electrical tape instead of the twist ties due to the twist ties kept hanging on plants and it is working well too.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #7 
mfskarphedin

Eek, be careful with the tiny airline siphon! About 16 years ago, I accidently sucked a goldfish's eyeball out with one; it fit perfectly over it and *pop*. He seemed ok afterward, but it was ARRRGGGG! gross. I still nearly puke when I think about it.
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Nothing like a mouthful of dirty fish water. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #9 
truthequalslies

Ohhh ok I thought that might be how lol I just wanted to be sure lol

Lol the things we do for our fishies
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #10 
dsgems

Does anyone recomend the ebook or any book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Thanks...I got it at a thrift shop 1 of 3 in 2 weeks 1-10g complete, 3gal eclispe complete and this 5gal....good stuff at thrift shops and I love the price...laffs...

Thanks bunnie I will look for that stuff and also try orange peel-I usually get this stuff off with a razor blade but not with acrylic.....a bit harder to work with than glass....but for the price I can deal with it...lol.....

If I can get my camera to work again I will get shots of the other new tanks....the 10gal ended up being a crayfish tank so it is pretty ugly...lol....just sand, oak leaves and floating plants...but the 3gal turned out pretty nice-it has gold or blond body male guppies and red cherry shrimp in it because I don't have a heater for it yet...but oddly enough the temp is staying over 85F

I wish I could get better pic of my HM/DT fry really proud of their outcome-they have some awesome dorsal and caudal fins but they don't show up well because of their color...you can see some pic in my album under user CP-I also posted some pic of some of the pleco fry

I wish I could figure out how to add pic to the aquarium tab by my avatar....I am a bit computer challenged.....laffs......

1fish-These are the Walstad type with a little twist of my own-you will love them and you can use most any soil too-I have several 1gal NPT without filtration that are going into their 3rd year and all doing great-the biggest problem I have with them is the massive plant growth and if I don't trim at least weekly the Betta doesn't have any room...lol.....

Here is a good link to a walstad step-by-step with pic-I do mine a bit different but this give you an idea...dang...it is not working right now...so I will post the link later...site must be down....
I don't know how to use face book so i get lost on here. I hope someone will friend me. I enjoy all the posts by Oldfishlady. I am just an old lady who loves Bettas. Please help!
dsgems is offline   Reply With Quote