Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #1 
Welsh

Think im gonna go with the 8 gall

So, I have the choice of a 5 gall and an 8 gall for the same price but im still not sure which one I want. I know bigger is always better but im undecided. My male will be going in the tank and i was just wondering along with an apple snail what else could I put in there, I dont want corys or tetras plus an 8 gall is too small for them.

Thanks =)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #2 
Magzmoir

Some shrimp ? Ive got a couple of cherry shrimp in mine they are cute but make sure you get them grown or the betta might see them as a tasty treat

I was gonna say a couple of otto's but they dont do good in a new set up, they need a tank with some algae in it.
Magzmoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #3 
Welsh

I am going to use my males old tank as a shrimp tank :) I was just looking for another fish for company for my betta, I know they dont care whether they have company or not but I feel depressed for him just watching him looking so sad lmao.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #4 
Magzmoir

hmm Im drawing a blank atm only thing I can think of is small loach speices, good for cleaning up scraps at the bottom. Maybe a Tri banded sumo loach ? They max out at 4 inches and dont like other loaches for company so would get on fine with your Betta.

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/schistura-balteata it says they like high oxygen tho, I have one in a small community tank with just a fluval filter and heater no bubbles, and its thriving. Are you planning plenty of plants ? this would help .....thats is ofc if you like the loach lol
Old 06-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #5 
Welsh

Yes i'll be having plants in the tank, thats the only reason i'm upgrading =) What about some otos, or would the tank be too small? or a khuli loach? I just saw that my LFS have these on their website and I have wanted one for ages lol

Last edited by Welsh; 06-08-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #6 
Magzmoir

Like I said otto's dont do so well in a new set up, they need a mature tank with plenty of algae, for some reason they arent keen on algae wafers to begin with and normally starve to death in a new tank. Also Otto's are very delicate when it comes to water conditions too.

khuli loach would be nice they get to the same size as the sumo loach and its good that they are available from your LFS the problem is that they like to be kept in grps. Im not sure you have the space for those when you dont think you have enough space for cory's? Also they like a soft substrate too because they are burrowers.

Some info if your interested -

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pangio-kuhlii
Old 06-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #7 
Welsh

Arrgh this is so annoying lol I have sand in my tanks but since I can now get a hold of a kuhli I think I may put some in my 12 gallon. Thanks for your help =)
Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #8 
puppyrjjkm

Sorry little late but some platies would be fine :) plus they're very colorful!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #9 
Welsh

Would an 8 gallon be too small though for platies and a male betta?
Old 06-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #10 
puppyrjjkm

Hmm I don't think so, you could do a pair of platies. I'm planning to have 4 ish or so platies in a 10 with a betta. Just as long as you don't get a male/female and have babies. Unless you have another tank to transfer them to. You could also leave the fry with the parents because the betta would probably eat a few! Or a few guppies (males again) some people say the betta will attack them because of the colorful fins but I haven't had a problem.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote