Well first we need a plan.
Alienbetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #14 
beta novice

ok
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #15 
Betta Slave

You guys are gonna need a lot of people to do this. A LOT. Don't mean to be a downer, just pointing it out.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

That is a nice thought.....
but......the more you buy the faster they will replace them- supporting the poor conditions...never ending...the fish will lose and the store will make money.
The faster the fish sell will tell the store that they need to order more fish...no matter how bad we want to save them all....sadly we can't save everyone of them......

You can write to the store main office and complain and every time you are in the store and see fish in poor conditions demand that a manager be called to the department and complain, point out what is wrong and how to correct it.
Offer to write up a care sheet for them to post....

Remember, with complaints often come actions and soon they may stop selling fish and some people have only one store that they can buy fish from.

Last year a "House Bill" was written to end this hobby and no one would be allowed to keep aquariums or tropical fish, thankfully it did not pass and we got to keep our fish and hobby alive.......

I wish we had a way that we could save all the poor neglected fish that are kept in poor conditions. Some store view these fish as nothing more than hardware and just like a glass that falls and breaks-it is marked as a loss and thrown in the trash, sadly live animals in most stores are viewed this way as well...it dies-marked as a loss-thrown in the trash......

Some stores are better than others....

I do wish we could save them all without them making money from it or at least a way to make them take better care of live animals and without an animal rights movement to ban the hobby......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #17 
Betta Slave

Oldfishlady makes a good point. The faster we keep getting their fish, the faster they keep coming in, and that just makes for more unhappy bettas.
I didn't know a "House Bill" was written on fish keeping! Scary...
Old 06-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Yes, HB669 I think, not the first time and not the last either, once they ban tropical fish they plan on banning dogs and cats as pets.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #19 
Betta Slave

That makes me mad >:( Who would ban cats and dogs? They don't do any harm to the environment, neither do tropical fish (unless you set them free, but still.)
Hope it never happens, can't imagine myself without my fish and dogs... and all my other pets :S
Old 06-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #20 
Zenandra
Banned

The best way to get walmart to stop torturing their fish (not just the bettas) is to get them to stop selling them. The store itself is not equipped to take care of them properly, and they don't make much of an effort to hire people with knowledge. They also don't care whether the fish live or die, something I found out while actually working in the fish section of a walmart in like 2007.
Zenandra is offline   Reply With Quote