Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #1 
Divisible by Waffle

Thumbs down Bloated! (Swim Bladder Blues)

OK, so my betta's been acting a little green around the gills lately. He'll be fine one day, and then the minute I feed him so much as a single little flake - BAM, bloated. He'll poop and feel better, but after even the tiniest of feedings, he'll bloat up like a balloon, even if I wait a week or so between feedings. Right now, he's floating on his side (he has no real preference for one side, it seems), but is still plenty active and has the energy to attempt to keep himself in the normal swimming position. He's also been blowing lots of bubbles from his mouth, trying to make a bubble nest (the filter's current breaks it up, though). The strange thing is, I noticed something small and shiny near his anal region. It almost looked like a bubble. It's gone now, but it seemed to be stuck to him somehow, and he moved about wildly trying to get it off. He's chilling out and blowing bubbles right now, though. Do bubbles just randomly get stuck to bettas like that?

I can't measure nitrates/nitrites, but the pH stays at a relatively stable 7.2, and there's no ammonia present. What can I do?
Divisible by Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:37 AM   #2 
mfskarphedin

It's intestinal gas. Change his food. Get Hikari betta pellets or some other good brand. Soak it before you feed him. You can also find him some fresh foods to eat; just read up on here.

[yay, my 100th post!]

Last edited by mfskarphedin; 06-09-2010 at 01:39 AM.
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #3 
Divisible by Waffle

Thing is, I started out feeding him soaked Hikari pellets, and the same thing happened.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #4 
mfskarphedin

Oh. :( Did you try frozen foods? A little bit of cooked peas? And my betta loved to eat garlic bits, too.

I'm wondering if he doesn't have internal parasites or an internal bacterial infection causing the indigestion? I mean, they had to feed him something at the breeder's to get him to grow! Probably lots of live foods.

There are some medicated foods and food-additives you could try for those. I think the medicated pellets are by Jungle Labs. But of course, he'd have to eat those every day for treatment, and I think that would be dangerous. Perhaps if you can find just one food he can eat without bloating, you could treat him for a week or two and see if anything changes when he eats a normal pellet?

Poor guy... /me pets him
Old 06-10-2010, 04:22 AM   #5 
mfskarphedin

How's your fish doing? I was reading up on epsom salt, and it's used to treat bloat. There's good info in this thread about how to use it: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ht=epsom+bloat

Maybe you should try that and see if it helps?
Old 06-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #6 
Divisible by Waffle

He's still a floater, but he's not behaving strangely otherwise. Though he usually loves to rest at the bottom of the tank, and will swim vigorously to touch bottom, only to float back up again. Poor fish! I don't feel comfortable doing epsom salt baths, as I tried it once and it killed a previous fish of mine. I'm going to try vacuuming the gravel and seeing if getting rid of some debris might help him recover faster.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #7 
mfskarphedin

Oh, I know what you mean; I'm wary of baths, too. I meant the later post after the bath one that says add some to his water as a dilute solution to help clean out his system.

Well, whichever avenue you pursue, let us know how it goes! Making sure he has a clean tank and clean water is always the best first thing to try. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #8 
Divisible by Waffle

I'm in the process of moving out of my dorm and back home, and Nero will be coming with me. I can't feed him until tomorrow, though, because I had to send the frozen bloodworms home (no more fridge) and I don't want to feed him freeze-dried foods. Is there anything I can do to make the two-hour drive a bit easier for him?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #9 
mfskarphedin

My method is usually to use mostly-new water, make sure there's lots of water to keep the temp stable, and don't slosh it around too much! They can get seasick, haha. Using a taller container really minimizes that. Oh, and be sure the container's well-secured with something of a lid. It's probably not too fun to try to scoop your fish up off the floormat at a stop light.

I've moved with fish at least a dozen times, and I've never lost one yet! :)
Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #10 
Divisible by Waffle

OK. I have a system of cups plus cupholder to keep him steady. I've moved him several times before without incident, I was just wondering if his current condition meant that I should do anything special.