Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #1 
Cicca

A few questions...

Sorry folks just a few quick questions, We found THE fish for us! hes a powderblue/purple crowntail at least tht was his lable but looks more like a cross between a feather and a crown.

Any how was wondering what types of plants are sugested to keep with these guys and if anyone can tell me if you have had freshwater shrimp in the tank with your male would like to hear about it.
Since I breed freshwater shrimps a new tank with out some is wasted IMO.
so shout out your suggestions and ideas
Thanks.

Here is a link to the tank he is housed in for the time being

http://www.petco.com/product/102093/...arium-kit.aspx

As you can see the lighting is umm... less than great so low light or nrealy no light plants would be best.
TYVM.
Cicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #2 
Arzela

Java Moss and Java Fern are great low-light plants. On the shrimp question, it depends on the betta. I think most bettas will munch on a shrimp if they have the chance, but if they're large shrimp (or your betta just isn't interested) it may be okay. If they have a lot of hiding places, they might be okay with the betta.

Last edited by Arzela; 06-09-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Arzela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #3 
zoragen

Crypts are another good low light plant.

Betta's love real plants!!

And yes - the shrimp could be betta food. If you don't mind risking a few you can try it.
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #4 
Cicca

Well last night I decided that I would rather not risk putting costly ornimental shrimps in the tank( usualy Each of my tanks gets some rare type of freshwater shrimp wanted to put some Orange delights in :( but they are just sooooo small.... ) so I got an african frog instead! :)
so far no fights lol.... My betta did not much like the idea at first but I left the frog floating in a cup over night so he could get used to the idea then relased "Kermit" and he took off under the rock hut. betta poked around a few times now totaly unintrested :) I will watch them closely over the day and night to make sure all is well but I think that they will be happy tank mates ... I also think I found the only betta who is scared of his own reflection lol....ROFL

Last edited by Cicca; 06-10-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #5 
mjbn

hah i think mine is too. i've tried the mirror thing, and my betta just turns around and swims away, and whenever i move the mirror infront of it, it keeps swimmingaway. hah i've never seen my betta flare its gills before.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #6 
zoragen

How are the betta & the frog getting along? Are yo having any problems w/ the betta eating all the frog food?

That's the problem I had when I tried adding a frog in w/ my guy at work. Freddy is too quick - I was afraid poor froggy was going to starve!

So he is now in a separate tank & while it's smaller I think he's happier alone.
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

That tank is too small for a betta. Much less a betta and an ADF. The smallest possible tank that an ADF and a Betta should be kept in is 3 gallons, personally I wouldn't go with anything smaller than 5 gallons.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #8 
Cicca

So far no issues :) everyone is happy and healthy...
Frog gets taken out once everyother day to get some food... I always assume hes not getting any but I am sure he is, but this way I know 100% that he is getting something.

As for the size well the frog I got was already full grown so wont get any bigger.
and everyone has plenty of room for now.
I will upgrade the tank size after my trip to india till then not all that worried about it :)

Last edited by Cicca; 06-23-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #9 
beta novice

get a heater for your tankk
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #10 
Cicca

tank has a heater filter and airation already.

lots of plants to hide in around or under and a hut that he can swim through and lay on.. lots of gravel for the bio film and decent lighting.

it's a pretty good set up IMO.