Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #11 
beta novice

pics oh btw my betta loves his little pagoda i got him
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #12 
Cicca

cool :) no cam or would have posted pics already :( but looking at having it fixed tonight. otherwise will have to buy a new one after I get back from India. can not justify spending the extra 200$ when I am taking 3 weeks off work already lol... thts life. :/
Cicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #13 
beta novice

lol oh well we love pics
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #14 
Cicca

yeah I know I do too!
I have some 100 guppies that want their pics taken too! lol...
Old 06-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #15 
Adastra

As was said before--the tank is too small for the frog and the betta. In my opinion, it is too small for each of them singly, let alone together. Even if you somehow manage to keep the water quality pristine--which will be very difficult. (You will probably have to change the water at LEAST every 3 days with them both in there.)

It is inhumane to not allow these animals to have adequate swimming space--bettas in these small spaces develop neurotic behaviors such as tail biting and glass surfing, and become obese. Many of these fish die from ammonia poisoning.

African dwarf frogs are extremely sensitive to bad water quality and they need more space to swim in than a 1.5 tank would allow. They also are a social species that do much better when they have companions of their own kind. They also need to be allowed to feed on insects and other live or frozen foods since frog pellets are not complete nutrition. Frogs are also almost blind--they have very poor eyesight and hunt by smell. If you have a frog and a betta in close quarters and are simply dropping the frog pellet in, the frog will not be able to find the pellet in time and it will be eaten by the betta. When I had an ADF, I had to dangle a live blackworm in front of its face for about 30 seconds before it would eat. They are notoriously difficult to feed, especially in communities. In captivity they have been known to live longer than 15 years if they are given the proper conditions. Are you willing to change 100% of the water in a 1.5G tank every couple of days for the next 15 years?

Please do more research on the african dwarf frog, and please--PLEASE relocate him to another tank, and upgrade the tank you are keeping your betta in. This current setup is inhumane--I have no idea how the people who design these tiny betta coffins sleep at night knowing they're selling tiny deathtraps to people who don't know better. :/
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #16 
Cicca

Well accutaly dear I change all of the tanks I own water daily I do 10-20 % water changes on every single one of them.
Kermit gets taken out and fed by hand so I make sure he is getting the nutrition he needs. I do not just dump crap into the tank n hope for the best.

as far as the tank size goes yea i know it's small but when we found him this was the biggest small tank the LFS had... so have to make do. Once I return from India he will get a much bigger 5 gal home and I will find a friend for Kermit.
Kermit was a CL find someone saying come get this frog or hes taking a waterslide ride type deal...

I do everything I can to provide the very best home to all of my critters.
Even if at first they are a lil cramped... they always get bigger homes once the budget allowes me to do so. but since I can not put off going over seas anylonger they will be fine for 2 more weeks.
but I thank you for your concern :D

Last edited by Cicca; 06-23-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #17 
Adastra

I'm glad to know that their tank will be upgraded at later time and that you are making an extra effort to make sure the frog is fed well. Many people do not understand what they're getting into when they bring home ADFs--they are among one of the most commonly mistreated small animals along with bettas and hermit crabs and anoles.

Next time I would encourage you to wait until you have a larger tank and sufficient funds before acquiring more pets.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote