Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Unhappy Hole in Head?

So my male betta Sinbad has been sickly off and on. He has had a white area between his eyes for about 3 days. Where his scales are rubbed off and it's like fuzzy almost. He doesn't look good, but he still eats and swims around. I can't set up a hospital tank and he is in my 29 gal divided with 3 other boys. Is it contagious? I'm wondering if I should just flush him. I really can't do it, but if it would affect my other boys I don't think I have another option. And I didn't think fish can recover from hole in the dead, at least that is what I think it is. What would you do?
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, any additives used, filtration, do you have water prams for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH?

DO NOT flush him, this is cruel, cut his head off if you feel you need to euthanize him......

Find a 1/2-1g jar and Qt him, no food, 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for the next 10 day.

Can you post a pic?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #3 
SilverCaracal

DO NOT flush him!! However, you do need to isolate him because fungal infection is contagious. Do a full water change and add aquarium salt. Also add Fungus Eliminator by Jungle. Add 30-40 grains per 1/2 gallon and don't overmedicate. He will recover if he's treated.
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #4 
bettalover2033

why would you cut off his head. thats really mean and you say flushing is cruel. im sorry but i would NEVER be able to or do it even if i did have the guts to do it!!. i know you have lots of experience but thats terrible!! if its dying i think you should flush it. i know its hard but there is no other way to get rid of the body unless you let another fish eat it but im sure that you dont want to do that. and a dead fish in the garbage will just make it stink. it could be a little danio in the garbage and it will stink very bad!! so what are you going to do?

if i was you i would just get a 1 gallon tank and then feed him water change do everything you normally would do. and then just take time and see how it goes. if it gets worse then too bad flush it and say your sorry and if its fine then its good!!:)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #5 
CodeRed

Flushing is very painful, and a bad way to go. If you do decide to euth him, either cut off his head as Oldfishlady says, or you can try the clove oil route. Whatever you do, DO NOT FLUSH HIM, especially alive! Even when he's dead, it's better to bury him than to flush him.
Try to help him first, before deciding to end his life... A little bit of extra care and it could clear up, because at the moment you have really no idea what it could be. It COULD be hole in the head, or it could just be a small fungal infection that can be cleared up with a few extra water changes and meds. Good luck.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #6 
SilverCaracal

Most of you'll guys are just trying to figure out how to kill the fish. At least try to treat the fish before you give up and cut off his head.
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #7 
bettalover2033

silvercaracle: i completely agree. do all you can and then come up with results:) your last solution should be to kill the fish or give up. shouldn't it?

Codered: i agree with you try curing him but also i do not mean flush him alive. how is that painful? also would you really bury a fish?

you see in my case i cannot bury a fish because i have CATS ALL over. they will just dig it up and eat it.. what do i do?
Old 06-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #8 
CodeRed

I thought you were saying to flush it still alive. THAT is highly frowned upon, because it puts more trauma on the fish than it deserves. Can you imagine being flushed alive? Living in sewer water with human waste, chemicals, and who knows what else? It would be an extremely painful death, and potentially a slow one, too.

For your case, you could put in a small box, say a toothpaste box. Bury it deep, and you could even put a stone over it. All of those would deter it from being a possible snack. Besides, the point of not-flushing is so you don't introduce a sickness to other fish. Even if your cat got the fish, it would still protect other fish from getting the infection, disease, sickness, ect.

And agreeing with the others, TRY before writing him off as dead. Isolating him is definitely advised, though. Good luck, again.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #9 
bettalover2033

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
I thought you were saying to flush it still alive. THAT is highly frowned upon, because it puts more trauma on the fish than it deserves. Can you imagine being flushed alive? Living in sewer water with human waste, chemicals, and who knows what else? It would be an extremely painful death, and potentially a slow one, too.

For your case, you could put in a small box, say a toothpaste box. Bury it deep, and you could even put a stone over it. All of those would deter it from being a possible snack. Besides, the point of not-flushing is so you don't introduce a sickness to other fish. Even if your cat got the fish, it would still protect other fish from getting the infection, disease, sickness, ect.

And agreeing with the others, TRY before writing him off as dead. Isolating him is definitely advised, though. Good luck, again.

no no no NEVER flush a live betta(give it a chance). and that is good advise i will try that next time one dies(hopefully not soon) :) all i say is give it a chance:).

is it cruel to feed it to another fish if its dead?? JUST CURIOUS
Old 06-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #10 
CodeRed

I wouldn't advise it unless it's clear that whatever killed the fish won't be passed on to the fish being fed. Otherwise, I don't see why not. Recycling, thought it might be hard for some to do it.