Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #11 
puppyrjjkm

Okay I understand treating before "writing them off as dead". But not speaking of this case but if a fish is just suffering from you know some infection or ick or whatever and clearly wasn't going to make it. Wouldn't you want to put it out of its misery than just let it die on its own which would be a long painful death? And the method of killing?? Cutting off its head? How could you guys even think of doing that? To a fish that you've cared for and maybe even gotten very attached to, to literally cut off it's head? That is despicable in my mind, I'm sorry I find flushing to be the best and easiest way. I'm fine with those not agreeing with me, but I just can't even fathom that.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #12 
Learn To Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
silvercaracle: i completely agree. do all you can and then come up with results:) your last solution should be to kill the fish or give up. shouldn't it?

Codered: i agree with you try curing him but also i do not mean flush him alive. how is that painful? also would you really bury a fish?

you see in my case i cannot bury a fish because i have CATS ALL over. they will just dig it up and eat it.. what do i do?
I didn't know cats dug things up...I have two, btw.

And I could never cut off my betta's head either, puppyrjjkm, but really flushing them alive is much more cruel. I would just let it die a natural death.

Last edited by Learn To Fly; 06-09-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: adding things
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #13 
doggyhog

If you're worried about a long painful death, that would be what would happen when you flushed it.. I don't got the guts to euth a fish by cutting it's head off, but it makes them go fast... If you want a more peaceful method, do the clove oil thing.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #14 
SilverCaracal

What's the clove oil thing?
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #15 
vaygirl

You have no idea what sort of long painful death is waiting for him in a sewer. I mean think it through... he could either die slowly in his home, warm and safe or he could die slowly in a cold, poo filled sewer with god-knows-what in it. I find that idea despicable. I'd rather be cared for through death by the owner that loved me then abandoned by them.

Of course, I don't think I could cut off a head either. That gives me the shudders. At least it would be instantaneous and certain.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #16 
puppyrjjkm

I couldn't even do the clove oil thing, that's just as bad in my opinion. But if he dies a natural death he would be putting the other fish at risk for a bacterial infection. And if I moved him the stress would kill him. As I've seen this happen before.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #17 
CodeRed

How would moving him kill him? It's just like going through a water change, except a litttllee bit more stressful. And the clove oil is FAR less traumatizing than being flushed. They go to sleep, and never wake up. It's far, far less painful.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #18 
vaygirl

I know, I'm just trying to help. If I flushed my fish I'd feel awful not knowing what happened to him. I could NEVER do that to any of them.

I'd risk moving him. It sounds like you think he's going to die anyway. Moving him and trying to treat him is the best way to go. Even if it's just into a plastic storage bin. You'll feel better knowing you did everything you could and you don't have to risk your other fish.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #19 
bettalover2033

SO cutting off the head is DEFiNANTLY OFF THE MENU. please dont do that!!!

i think that there is just no way of killing the fish without a little guilt being given to the owner. what i would do is just give it its needs and let it die a peaceful death. since you seem like you dont want to treat him
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #20 
shards

I'm curiouse what the clove oil thing. Also what if you put him in the frezzer like you do with deformed fry. Or just move him. (Please don't like get mad over what I just said I've never had a betta with a problem like this)
shards is offline   Reply With Quote