Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2010, 11:44 PM   #1 
carolyn

Unhappy George has dropsy :(

I have had George for about 14 months. I'm sure he has dropsy now.

I did a water change last week and he got tabled in the net. I was afraid he hurt himself. A day or two later he suddenly had a sore on his side. I treated him with antibiotics. I have been doing 75-90% water changes every few days without taking him out of the bowl. I haven't been able to clean his gravel.

2 days ago he started getting listless and gray. I did a water change and added extra salt. I treated him again with antibiotics and anti parasitic. He hasn't eaten in about 3 days. Tonight I looked at him and I'm sure he has dropsy.

After reading a couple of threads I realize I probably overmedicated him. I feel so bad. I moved him to a smaller clean bowl tonight with clean unmedicated water. I hope he is still with us in the morning, but I don't have much hope.
carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #2 
mfskarphedin

Sorry to hear that... :( How's he doing today?

When they're sick, it's good to do maybe 50% water changes every day or every other according to most people here. Maybe more clean water will help.

Read up on the use of epsom salt with dropsy? I did read one thread on here where one person had a recovery after the treatment, but it's not sure what exactly caused it.

Hope that helps...
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #3 
carolyn

Thank you Kristen. He is a bit more active, but very skittish and nervous. He used to recognize me and come to the side or top of the bowl when he saw me. Now he acts like he doesn't know me and swims away and hides.

He is back in his original bowl with clean gravel , his heater and clean water. He still won't eat and is still slightly pine coned. But no worse than last night

Do you know how much Epsom salt to use per gallon? Or where I can find out?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #4 
carolyn

I found it. 1 tsp/gallon
Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I hope he makes it. Crossing fingers for you.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #6 
Eolith

I know what you're going through. I've got a betta that's in the exact same boat. I keep going back and forth about what to try to do for him. I don't know if I should just use the salts... or meds as well? I've also been told to turn up the temperature, which I've done... we'll see where it goes.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #7 
carolyn

So far George is hanging in with us. He is eating again but not swimming, just hiding under a decoration. I've been doing water changes daily, using Epsom salt in the water. He is eating bloodworms that I soak in a bit of his water to soften them up for him. And his color looks better, other than grey patches on his chin.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #8 
Eolith

I'm happy to say that my boy has made a full (and rather stunning) recovery. I used epsom salts, but I also highly recommend Hikari Betta Revive. I used it for my boy and he was better in two days. It also really helped another betta I had with fin rot. That stuff has been amazing for me... so maybe it will work well for you too!

http://www.petco.com/product/102424/...t=OnSiteSearch
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #9 
mfskarphedin

Congrats!!!! With all the recent deaths on here, it's nice to hear a success story! :)
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote