Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2010, 05:27 AM   #1 
Welsh

How many fry

I'm not planning to breed just yet, im pretty much spent out but in the future when I am more experienced and have done a lot more research i am hoping to and was wondering does anyone have an estimate as to how many fry would likely be born from a first time mother and father? I think housing the females would be the easiest but the only thing putting me off is housing the males. My mother seems uninterested in my hobby but keeps nagging me to breed my male, she just doesnt seem to listen when I tell her how difficult it is. lol.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I'm no expert, but in the past I was crazy enough to count my results (about 20 spawn - the fry all died of course). For fully grown VT and betta fighters (I don't know what you call them) the fry range between 800 - 1300 with an average of +/-1000 fry. I don't know how many "modern" bettas produce but many talk about producing around 300 - 400 fry. I don't really take care of my fry like others because I can only tend to 100 fish at a time. And I breed 3 - 4 pairs each month. So more than that goes into the catfish pond.

As a beginner, be ready to house at least 200.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

This is just a guess.....

On average for the beginner you may get lots of eggs, then wigglers, then free swimmer this number varies from 200 to 0 and the average being around 20-60.
Then you go into the juvie stage and the culling starts- average numbers roughly 10-50
sub-adult stage maybe 1-30 into the 12-16 weeks

A good manageable number for a first spawns averages around 10-30 and this number can be even more with a good breeding pair, right set-up and feeding of the fry and proper husbandry practiced.

Its really hard to say how many you could have, I have been spawning this species for over 10 years and my numbers range from 10-130 to adult stage.

Lots of things can go wrong, the male eats the eggs or fry, the male dies right after spawn, heater goes out or malfunctions and cooks the fry, dragonfly larva unknown in the tank and eats the fry before you find it, you get sick and can't care for them...these are just a few things that have happened to me
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #4 
Welsh

I desperately want to breed my betta but I know I'm not ready just yet, it just seems so difficult. How do you even manage to house them all, the expenses must be ridiculous.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #5 
shards

its not that much for housing you can get those cups that they have them in for the males and just sell the males or give them away and females can just be left in the grow out tank until they are sell size. or if you only want a couple fish leave them in a tank and then they will all kill each other and then you'll never have to feed them because they will just eat the dead............ I'm kidding. the hardest part about breeding as with anything else is you don't know what to expect.
shards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

It could be, but I already have everything and make or grow all my foods for them and the breeders.
My house kinda looks like a fish store....lol......
I try to keep my spawning during the spring and summer for those reasons and then I can put some of them outside in my outside tanks too.
I am retired and due to my condition I am house bound....so the fish and this forum give me something to do and to feel useful.......I would go nuts without something to keep my brain working......lol......
Old 06-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #7 
shards

OFL your condition makes you house bound but you sound so young and lively. it seems like your in you early 30's
shards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #8 
Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shards View Post
its not that much for housing you can get those cups that they have them in for the males and just sell the males or give them away and females can just be left in the grow out tank until they are sell size. or if you only want a couple fish leave them in a tank and then they will all kill each other and then you'll never have to feed them because they will just eat the dead............ I'm kidding. the hardest part about breeding as with anything else is you don't know what to expect.
These cups people keep talking about I have never seen one, the bettas in the stores over here are always kept in tanks with a few other fish.

I guess the fry will be easy to manage until they get to a certain age, like most things they'll start to fight lol
Old 06-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by shards View Post
OFL your condition makes you house bound but you sound so young and lively. it seems like your in you early 30's
Thanks...that made my day.....