Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #1 
LucyLoofa

Unhappy Fin Rot in Combination with Clamped Fin. Please Help!

Patriot was showing major improvement and a little fin growth until yesterday morning when I came back from my boyfriend's apt to check on him. He was lying at the bottom of his tank.
I was scared that he had died while I was away but when I dipped the net in he swam away like crazy like his normal self. But his fins are clamping and the fin rot is still eating away at him.
I'm using Jungle's Fungus Clear because it says it gets rid of fungus and bacteria that cause a wide array of problems including fin rot and clamp fin.
I couldn't find any garlic juice this weekend when I went grocery shopping with my dad, and I have garlic powder but I'm hesitant in using it. I don't think it's the right thing to do, but I do believe having actual garlic juice in there will help.
They spray the trees around my apartment with pesticides so I can't use oak leaves like I want to.
I'm keeping him in his dip cup with my QOTSA CD case over top of it so he won't jump out since he's a big jumper.
I only dunked the Fungus clear tab in with my fingers until the water seemed to have enough in it, I don't think I OD's him, because most of the tablet was left. (93-95% of the tab)
He's got water conditioner and an appropriate amount of aquarium salt for the dip cup. (not even a gallon so I only put maybe 6 grains in)
Is there anything else I can do at all?!?!
I'm giving him 100% water changes every day, and when he was in his tank I was doing a 25-40% water change every other day since I don't have the tank cycled yet and I didn't want him drowning in his own ammonia.
He only had a tiny bit of fin rot when I got him, I swear he was the healthiest little guy at petsmart!
This only got to be a problem after the water shock, from which I assume his immune system was extremely weakened.
All advice is good advice.
Please help!
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #2 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLoofa View Post
Patriot was showing major improvement and a little fin growth until yesterday morning when I came back from my boyfriend's apt to check on him. He was lying at the bottom of his tank.
I was scared that he had died while I was away but when I dipped the net in he swam away like crazy like his normal self. But his fins are clamping and the fin rot is still eating away at him.
I'm using Jungle's Fungus Clear because it says it gets rid of fungus and bacteria that cause a wide array of problems including fin rot and clamp fin.
I couldn't find any garlic juice this weekend when I went grocery shopping with my dad, and I have garlic powder but I'm hesitant in using it. I don't think it's the right thing to do, but I do believe having actual garlic juice in there will help.
They spray the trees around my apartment with pesticides so I can't use oak leaves like I want to.
I'm keeping him in his dip cup with my QOTSA CD case over top of it so he won't jump out since he's a big jumper.
I only dunked the Fungus clear tab in with my fingers until the water seemed to have enough in it, I don't think I OD's him, because most of the tablet was left. (93-95% of the tab)
He's got water conditioner and an appropriate amount of aquarium salt for the dip cup. (not even a gallon so I only put maybe 6 grains in)
Is there anything else I can do at all?!?!
I'm giving him 100% water changes every day, and when he was in his tank I was doing a 25-40% water change every other day since I don't have the tank cycled yet and I didn't want him drowning in his own ammonia.
He only had a tiny bit of fin rot when I got him, I swear he was the healthiest little guy at petsmart!
This only got to be a problem after the water shock, from which I assume his immune system was extremely weakened.
All advice is good advice.
Please help!
His Temperature is also around 70/75 so that the bacteria doesn't spread any faster.
I forgot to mention this earlier. And I am positive of the estimate because I have a glass thermometer with a suction cup stuck to the side of his dip cup.
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

How long have you been treating him with the Fungus clear and making the 100% water changes?
How long has he been sick in general?

True that most bacteria thrive best in warmer water, however, you need to keep the water temp at the very least in the 75-76F range for the fish, if he is weakened by too low of water temp he can't help himself.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-10-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote