Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #1 
ScuitoAmi150

Water is still oily..

A couple of months back I posted something on here because the water on my sorority tank has gotten an oily look to it, along with little white chunks. If I put something on top of the water it gets all of this white gunk and oily feel to it that is hard to get off.

It has gotten a LOT worse. Now you pretty much can't see the oil because the white chunks take up the entire top of the water.
My bettas don't seem to have trouble getting air from the surface or grabbing food.

Someone told me to try more frequent water changes. I tried that. Didn't work. I can scoop out most of the white stuff but it comes back completely in a day or two.

What is it?! I'm sick of this stuff. I can't use anything that I use in or for this tank for other tank, because I REALLY don't want more than one tank to have it.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:36 AM   #2 
Welsh

I have this problem too, as soon as I do a water change it comes back the next day, its the same with my 2.4. What I have heard is that its oil from the food and plants but what I have also noticed is that in both tanks theres bubbles too. Have you tried skimming the water with a cup or something?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:39 AM   #3 
ScuitoAmi150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
I have this problem too, as soon as I do a water change it comes back the next day, its the same with my 2.4. What I have heard is that its oil from the food and plants but what I have also noticed is that in both tanks theres bubbles too. Have you tried skimming the water with a cup or something?
There is only one live plant in the tank and it is really tiny (the tank is 10g). I guess I should try feeding my girls just pellets so I know that everything get eaten.
I've tried scooping it out with a cup. It comes back the next day.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #4 
Welsh

I have no plants in my 2.4 so i have put it down to the oil from the food. It reminds me of the oil that you find in puddles out on the roads lol
Old 06-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #5 
ScuitoAmi150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
I have no plants in my 2.4 so i have put it down to the oil from the food. It reminds me of the oil that you find in puddles out on the roads lol
Does it have the chunks of white stuff in it too? That's what it looks like in my fish tank.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #6 
Welsh

No I dont see no white stuff in my tank. Do you have a pic?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #7 
ScuitoAmi150

No, but I can get a picture tonight.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #8 
dr2b

I get that if I need to do a really good cleaning of the tank. I found doing a large water change and scrubbing the walls well (attempting to get all gunk and things we can't see with our naked eyes off). It works for me... Never have figured out what it is.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Most likely a protein bio-film and organics, its on the most part harmless it just looks ugly....
Increase the water agitation by adding an air-stone, lower the water level so the HBO flow hits the water ans splashes etc.... use a paper towel and lay over it to absorb, make a large 80% water change, rinse/swish the filter media in the old tank water with the water changes and repeat as needed.

I had this on my 20g female tank and it took about 12 paper towels to get rid of it, I moved the sprayer bar so that is hits the surface of the water and did a big water change and plant trim and it has not came back or I should say the water agitation keeps me from seeing it by breaking it up...lol......

Other things that can cause this is oils on your hands, always wash your hands before and after messing with your tank, and some fish foods high in oils, uneaten food left in the tank too long, dead plants, and not large enough or often enough water changes or poor substrate vacuuming, dirty filter media...... to name a few more causes.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #10 
ScuitoAmi150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Most likely a protein bio-film and organics, its on the most part harmless it just looks ugly....
Increase the water agitation by adding an air-stone, lower the water level so the HBO flow hits the water ans splashes etc.... use a paper towel and lay over it to absorb, make a large 80% water change, rinse/swish the filter media in the old tank water with the water changes and repeat as needed.

I had this on my 20g female tank and it took about 12 paper towels to get rid of it, I moved the sprayer bar so that is hits the surface of the water and did a big water change and plant trim and it has not came back or I should say the water agitation keeps me from seeing it by breaking it up...lol......

Other things that can cause this is oils on your hands, always wash your hands before and after messing with your tank, and some fish foods high in oils, uneaten food left in the tank too long, dead plants, and not large enough or often enough water changes or poor substrate vacuuming, dirty filter media...... to name a few more causes.
I'll have to try the air stone! But is there any way to attach it without plugging it into an air pump? I don't have enough electrical space.
My girls were having a hard time with the water flow from my Duetto 50 so I don't know how they will like more current.