Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #1 
Camrygrl

Unhappy Cameron is sick

Cameron hasn't been acting himself for the last 4 or 5 days. My husband did a 25% water change over the weekend and cleaned the algae off the inside of tank.
(He is in a 5 gal tank) When I went to feed him on Tuesday morning, I thought he was dead, he was laying in the corner behind a plant. I left him alone, not wanting to bury him yet. A couple of hours later he moved! I was so happy! I pulled the live plants out because they didn't look so good. Added 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt to his water. His fins look a little shredded and I noticed a white stripe down one of his fins so I added Melafix. Thru all this he is eating very little or none at all. I noticed the was spitting out the red pellets. And the bottom of his tank was littered with them. Yesterday I noticed a bump on his back left side so I didn't attempt to feed him. This morning I went to check on him and he wouldn't come from behind the filter. Just a few minutes ago he came out and starting swimming around and I finally got a picture of him. (Now that I look at him the white stripe is gone.) He is swimming around but not acting his normal self and kinda goes into a "C" every once in a while. Sorry if I didn't describe something I should, but I'm kinda in a panic and not sure what to do next. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images

Camrygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #2 
Camrygrl

Something else I have noticed, he is coming out more when his light is off. I decided to try that after reading on here that it may be less stressful. Am I doing what is right for him? Should I be doing daily water changes to help?
Old 06-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Do you have a filter and what is the water temp, how much and how often are the water changes, any additives used on a regular basis.
If you have water pram numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH please post them.
How long has the tank been set up?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #4 
Camrygrl

Yes, it has a filter, although I took it out for the Melafix. My husband usually does a 25% water change on the weekends but the he slacked off the last couple of weeks hence the algae build up. (He has a 10 gal and a 30 of his own)

The water temp is 80. I have never used any additives in his water. Not sure about the pram numbers for nitrite, nitrate, pH. My hubby has test strips but I'm not sure how to use them. Ammonia looks like it's 0.5.

This tank has been set up since about Dec. when I found this site after my other betta passed.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

It may be a water quality issue, I would start by making a 50% water change daily for 4 days to get the melafix out and improve the water quality, you must be on well water since you don't use a dechlorinator...... this also depend on your nitrate reading, too high and a large water change can shock him, when a tank is neglected the nitrate can rise into unsafe level and the sudden drop can be deadly.
In a 5g with a filter IMO needs twice weekly 50% water changes to maintain quality water and prevent health and fin issues,
this is based on 1 Betta and uneaten food being removed after feeding.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #6 
Camrygrl

Yes, we are on well water. I thought the white stripe down his fin was gone but its still there. Should I stop the melafix? And now I can't find the multi test strips.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

IMO-yes, I would get the melafix out, sometimes this product can injure the labyrinth organ unless you provide good ventilation for the Betta, remove the lid, lower the water level and add an airstone, this product only works on specialized pathogens half the time and has been know to stress if not kill some species.
With ammonia at .5ppm this burns the fish and then long term burns that heal can cause scare tissue to develop and this can make breathing hard for the fish not to mention the stress and secondary infection.
With all the tanks you and your husband have you should invest in a good master test kit that test for-ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH...API make a good one and most places it cost under $25.00 and last a long time and it is fun to use.....
Old 06-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #8 
Camrygrl

Found the strips.... Best I can figure...Nitrate is 80, Nitite is 0, PH is 8.4.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Wow...nitrate at 80ppm is not good, however, sometimes the strips are not as accurate as the liq reagent type
To be on the safe side, I would make 10% daily water changes for 3 days, then 20% daily for 3 days, then 30% for 3 days, then 50% for 2 days, vacuum the substrate in areas that can be reached without moving anything in the tank like the decoration every 5 days with the water change, give the filter media a swish in old tank water with the water change and turn it back on.
Then stay on a regular scheduled water change of 50% twice a week with vacuum with one of the twice weekly water changes, swish/rinse the filter media in old tank water 1-2 times a month with a water change.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #10 
Camrygrl

Thank you Thank you. Get rid of the aquarium salt? We will have to buy him a small vacuum. Hubby says the one he uses for his tanks is too big. 10% is like 1/2 gal?