Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Long term aquarium salt is not recommended, it is a great product for short term treatment of some pathogens and parasites.

They so have the really small gravel vacuums that work well or a turkey baster in a pinch and it works great to remove uneaten food....
If you haven't been vacuuming the substrate since Dec. then your nitrates are most likely 80ppm as you posted.

A fish can tolerate the slow rise in nitrate and be just fine but the high nitrate will affect the immune response making them weak and then a sudden change in the nitrate from a water change can shock them and it can either make them really sick or kill them due to poor immunity and nitrate shock.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #12 
Camrygrl

Water change done. This little guy is a fighter. He was my daughter's but after mine passed she gave him to me. He was in about a 1/2 gal of water, no filter or heater. This was before we knew any better. When I came across this site and learned a little more I went and bought him this 5 gal with the heater and filter. Mine would still be alive if I had known then what I know now. (maybe) And I just learned a lot more.
Camrygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #13 
Camrygrl

Ok, so I have been doing the water changes a directed and he seems a little more lively. He's parking himself on the heater instead of behind the filter. But he still won't eat. I bought him some new food just in case the other was too old. He spit it out. Today I got him some bloodworms, and he didn't even pay any attention to it. I also got some minced garlic. Should I try and soak a pellet or 2? He hasn't eaten in quite a few days.
Camrygrl is offline   Reply With Quote