Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #1 
The Bear

Moving my fish into a (much) larger tank

Recently we acquired a much larger fish tank (also finally has a filter and heater, thank god). I was wondering, would it be too much of a shock to move our betta from a 2 gallon to 20 gallon tank? We have a lot of ornaments and stuff to make it cozy for him.

It may seem a bit outlandish to put him in such a large tank, but we couldn't pass it up for the price. If anything, we could put some other fish in there.

So basically... would it be ok to move him into a much larger tank like this, or not?

Thanks in advance.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Some Betta love a big tank and all the space and other do not, some will hide in a corner, stop eating and get stressed, while other swim all over and have a blast.....
I say give it a try and see how he like its, give him time to adjust if he is one that is more timid in the larger tank, as long as you have a back up plan.
Often in the larger tanks with the filtration it can be hard on them until they build up more muscle tone to swim in the current, sometimes, not always, they will end up with torn fins from the filtration and the need to swim more as well.
Hope to see pic soon......and what are your stocking plans?
with 20g you have more options.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #3 
Ashcan Bill

I suspect you'll have a very happy betta.

Are you adding gravel? Any live plants?

I'm getting ready to set up a 16 and plan to plant it fairly heavily. Besides looking nice, the plants give the fish places to hide and explore and helps with the water quality.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #4 
shards

I have a female that doesn't like a larg area. So I just made a heavely planted corner so she can hid. Also you can divide the tank 4 times so you can have more bettas and its not that big of a change. Also if you can't deside on 1 theme you can have 4 lol. Also if your going to divide it do it before you put him in so your not going from 20 gal to a 5 gal.
shards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #5 
The Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Some Betta love a big tank and all the space and other do not, some will hide in a corner, stop eating and get stressed, while other swim all over and have a blast.....
I say give it a try and see how he like its, give him time to adjust if he is one that is more timid in the larger tank, as long as you have a back up plan.
Often in the larger tanks with the filtration it can be hard on them until they build up more muscle tone to swim in the current, sometimes, not always, they will end up with torn fins from the filtration and the need to swim more as well.
Hope to see pic soon......and what are your stocking plans?
with 20g you have more options.....
Thank you for the information. I will provide pics as soon as he moves into his new digs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
I suspect you'll have a very happy betta.

Are you adding gravel? Any live plants?

I'm getting ready to set up a 16 and plan to plant it fairly heavily. Besides looking nice, the plants give the fish places to hide and explore and helps with the water quality.
Hopefully! Yeah, I'll be adding gravel and likely a few of the fake plants (he loves lounging on them in his current home). Got some ornaments ready as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shards View Post
I have a female that doesn't like a larg area. So I just made a heavely planted corner so she can hid. Also you can divide the tank 4 times so you can have more bettas and its not that big of a change. Also if you can't deside on 1 theme you can have 4 lol. Also if your going to divide it do it before you put him in so your not going from 20 gal to a 5 gal.
This is actually an octagonal tank that goes upward, rather than the basic rectangle one. Still could technically be divided though if need be, I guess. Thanks for the tip... if Big Al isn't 100% into it, could always give him a nice hiding spot!

If we decide to move him, it'll be in a few days. I'll give an update!
Old 06-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #6 
The Bear

Well, today is the day!

Cleaned up the tank. Got the filter & heater up and running. Put the water condition and salt in the water... "Big" Al will be in his new home in a little while. I hope he enjoys it! He's been happy lately, blowing tons of bubble nests, so hopefully he enjoys his new home.

I'll post pics later.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #7 
beta novice

i hope he does also
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #8 
The Bear

Well, he's in. Been staying around the top and getting used to the current. He seems a bit uneasy and unsure... naturally, it's a big change. Hopefully he'll like it more... going to give him a day or so and see how he likes it. If not, back to the Garfield fishtank :)
Old 06-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #9 
The Bear

Here are some pics...

He's been enjoying it as of late. Been swimming around a lot more. At first he was hiding in the corner, but then he opened up. Still in the process of buying better ornaments for him (only thing we're keeping in there is the plant in the back right).

Unfortunately I fed him a little too much today... good thing tomorrow is fasting day! A little plump tummy at the moment.

Anyways, quick question, how often should I change the water in this thing with a filter running? 20 Gallon tank.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #10 
fishfin

I'm only new to Betta's and I'm really enjoying my little guy.

Big Al is a spectacular looking fish! His colours are beautiful.

I'm so glad he is settling into his new home. I'm sure he will learn to love it. I have a little Platy in with my guy and they actually live in harmony so maybe that is something you could consider too.
fishfin is offline   Reply With Quote