Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #1 
FireKidomaru

alright.... lets get down to business

ok so i just lost my boy techno and today i vow to fix all my bettas problems right away.... the first problem is Demyx's tail.. he has bitten it so that it is very short... hes a veiltail... please what can i do to help him grow back to his normal fin lenghth
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #2 
FireKidomaru

please help! i hate seeing his tail being all raggedy and torn up... i know its not finrot because it hasnt gotten shorter latley but still please help
Old 06-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

The best treatment I have found to help fins re-grow....is lots and lots of water changes, the fresh clean dechlorinated water is the best medication and treatment for fish IMO/E.
However, with a tail biter you have got to find out why and fix it..... if it can be fixed.... and often once they start it can become a habit that is hard to stop
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #4 
FireKidomaru

I think he has stopped on his own because every day i check on him it dosnt seem to be getting shorter and more torn up... i just need to help him grow back.. when i got him he had the LONGEST tail ever
Old 06-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

That is always so heart breaking when they lose their beautiful long flowing tail......

I had one get his tail bitten off by marbled crayfish outside in my 250g tank and I was able to get the tail re-grown in 3 weeks with just 100% daily water changes while I had him cupped for treatment. I used the water in my oak leaf rainwater bucket and fed lots of mosquito larva, guppy fry and my homemade food with lots of fresh garlic, shrimp, spinach, I started to see healing within 3 days and new growth within 5 days.

Daily 100% water changes and high protein diet to promote healing and re-growth...best medication/treatment I have found.....
Old 06-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #6 
FireKidomaru

what should i feed him?
Old 06-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #7 
FireKidomaru

also i heard that aquarium salt works.... should i start mixing that with his water?
Old 06-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I only use salt short term due to long term use can cause kidney failure and resistant pathogen/parasite from over use and use of wrong dosage, some species are really sensitive to any salt and some plants as well.
It is a great product for treatment short term, I use it at dosages of 1tsp/gal up to 3tsp/gal for no longer than 10 days, depending on what and why I am treating I may do a 10day on 5day off 10day on etc.....

For feeding-high protein promotes healing, I like to feed live foods, mosquito larva, guppy fry and my homemade food that contains fresh garlic. A good staple diet with at least 40% protein will also work, but a good varied diet is always better.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #9 
FireKidomaru

is there anything i can get store bought? like anything i can go buy at local pet stores? (petco, petsmart)
Old 06-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKidomaru View Post
is there anything i can get store bought? like anything i can go buy at local pet stores? (petco, petsmart)
For what?