Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #1 
FireKidomaru

Exclamation Sever boosting..... Need help now!

Sorry..... iPod puts in words for me.... The title is "sever bloating.... Need help" I woke up today and I noticed that my CT Techno was sitting on th bottom of his tank.... Today was his second day of fasting because he his very bloated.... How do I help him ... I don't wanna lose my beautiful fishie

Last edited by FireKidomaru; 06-09-2010 at 08:14 AM.
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #2 
sjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKidomaru View Post
Sorry..... iPod puts in words for me.... The title is "sever bloating.... Need help" I woke up today and I noticed that my CT Techno was sitting on th bottom of his tank.... Today was his second day of fasting because he his very bloated.... How do I help him ... I don't wanna lose my beautiful fishie
Lower water level so he can get to air easier

No food, fast for three days, epsom salt to water to relax ducts
I'm not sure about the dosage but it may have been 1 tsp per gallon or less, again research some of the SBD threads on here
A piece of peeled cooked pea (small pieces broken off) after 3 days
search these threads for Swim Bladder Disease or it may be bacterial
I just had this issue with my fish, and the big thing was prevention (not over feeding and feeding the right foods) and this treatment was advised to me-worked!
But it could also be the sign of something else

Last edited by sjones; 06-09-2010 at 11:27 AM.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

How big is the tank, how much and how often on the water changes and when was the last one, any additives used, filtration, live plants and water temp?
How long has he been bloated and is it just the stomach? Do the scales look to be sticking out?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #4 
SilverCaracal

Your betta either has dropsy or swim bladder disorder. As Oldfishlady said check the scales. If they're raised like an open pinecone, then it's dropsy. There is no cure for dropsy. If it's a mild case, your betta may recover on his own. Real dropsy always kills :( If the scales aren't raised, then it's swim bladder disorder. Just fast your betta and don't feed it brine shrimp.
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #5 
FireKidomaru

My tank is about 1.5 gallons I think I did my last waterchange about 6 days ago.... I normally do them once a week..... Only his belly is bloated and his scales are not really sticking out...... I think he's just bloated I will fast for 3 days and give him some pea
Old 06-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #6 
SilverCaracal

Change his water more often. Do a 100% water change twice a week.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #7 
FireKidomaru

Ok but what do I do about the bloating?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #8 
SilverCaracal

He'll recover on his own. Just fast him for another few days and lower the water level if he has trouble swimming. I wouldn't use medication but you could use Bettazing. I'm not sure many lps have it though.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #9 
FireKidomaru

What about the frozen pea I heard that helps ..... Do u know anything about that?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Poor water quality can cause many different issues/symptoms, often once the water quality is improved the fish can then help themselves unless a secondary infection has invaded to the point that the fish immunity can't fix it.
Improve the water quality with large frequent water changes, 100% daily, hold all feeding, if he continues to be bloated after 4-5 days then add Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with the 100% daily water changes for 10 days, offer food on day 3 of treatment-very small amount and feed every 2-3 days until treatment is completed, if improvement is noted before the 10 days of Epsom salt/daily WC-continue treatment to complete the 10 days.

Note: treatment is best done while in QT a half to 1 gallon bare bottom container works well, this will also allow you to monitor the bowel movement, easier to make 100% WC.
I like to pre-mix my Epsom salt 1tsp/gal in a clean 1g jug to make dosage easier and to keep it in the same location of the fish for water temps.
Also if on city water make sure to add a dechlorinator.....
*Epsom salt works as a laxative, reduces swelling and has antibacterial/fungal properties
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote