Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #1 
ParisRose

Unsure..

Here's the deal Napoleon's tank has been cloudy for a while now.
I checked the parameters and the ph is fine, the amonia is fine, so is the nitrate and nitrites. The water hardness was too hard though. I don't know how to fix this! I'm 16 without a job and my parents hate my fish. Is there anyway i can make his tank not cloudy by softening the water cheaply? It also said something about buffering capacity that confused me to the ends of the earth. I'm confused... it never got cloudy before. I think he might be getting sick too.
Thank you.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #2 
ParisRose

Also, is it normal for him not to see the food? I'll feed him and he won't respond but then he'll see it and he'll eat it fine. Is this normal?
Old 06-11-2010, 01:33 AM   #3 
otgarza

I feel your pain...I was at that point once. I think a good thing to do would be to do a water change maybe about 25% and see if that helps. It would be better to do it as soon as possible or there could be bad consequences for the fish...
Posted via Mobile Device
otgarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Here are just some basic questions...what size tank is he in? Is there a heater? What's the temp of the water? How often do you clean the tank a week?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #5 
ParisRose

2.5 gal. Yes there's a heater but it's not in use right now. Summer makes the water about 78F. And i give cleaning it my best shot every week.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

In a 2.5g tank without filtration, IMO- water changes need to be twice weekly: 1-50% and 1-100%.....with a filter twice weekly 50% water changes
To maintain good water quality to prevent issues in both the tank and with the fish.

Most fish will adjust to the pH of your water, I would not do anything with the pH especially with chemical additives.
IMO/E the only chemical additive you need is a good dechloranator if on city water supply.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #7 
ParisRose

I think I found the culprit. Today I did a 100 percent change. Took him out and rinsed with hot water the gravel and tank. I found flakes of food and a ton of poo. The flakes I thought had decayed must not of. I also ditched those superfine particals of gravel. the water is clear now and he's swimming more and I put a mirror up for a few seconds and he fanned and later fanned at me. I think he's happier now. The filter may have also stopped working right.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #8 
ParisRose

Okay just today I noticed his water was getting whiteish cloudy again. What gives?
Old 06-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

What kind of water conditioner are you using? I've heard that some can make your water cloudy. When you do water changes do you remove everything and thoroughly clean it? In other words, a 100% water change?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #10 
ParisRose

I've only done one 100% change since he's been in the 2 gal. Usually it's about 25% 2-3 times a week. I use topfin.