Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2010, 03:23 AM   #1 
Owlets

Not sure what to do D:

So I made a post about a week ago about Elvis and his swim bladder issues. He's gotten worse and worse since D:
This is how he sits, all day:

I've taken out his gravel, and his water level is a little more than half full (he's in a 3.5 gallon)
He used to be stuck floating up at the top of the tank, but now he is stuck at the bottom struggling to swim.
He either breathes really fast and heavily, or so light it looks like he's not alive. He has a somewhat lazy eye, isn't eating, and just generally looks like he's suffering :(

I've been keeping up with 100% water changes every few days, keeping his water warm and placing 1/2 a teaspoon of aquarium salt in every water change.
What should I do? He's just getting worse from here, and I hate to see him suffer - especially since he sits on my desk next to me, so I constantly watch how much he struggles

Thankyouuu in advance!
Owlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:43 AM   #2 
Scienceluvr8

Oh, I'm so sorry. I really have no advice to give you, sorry, but I hope your guy pulls through....he's so beautiful and I hope for the best, hopefully someone can give you advice through expertise. What you're doing so far sounds really good, just try to do what you possibly can and hopefully he makes a recovery.
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:46 AM   #3 
Owlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scienceluvr8 View Post
Oh, I'm so sorry. I really have no advice to give you, sorry, but I hope your guy pulls through....he's so beautiful and I hope for the best, hopefully someone can give you advice through expertise. What you're doing so far sounds really good, just try to do what you possibly can and hopefully he makes a recovery.
Thank you! :)
Old 06-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Oh no! He doesn't look good. :( All of the fish I've had with swim bladder disorders usually can't make it to the bottom of the tank (they usually stay bobbed at the top). Is he badly bloated?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #5 
Owlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaxFishxCrazy View Post
Oh no! He doesn't look good. :( All of the fish I've had with swim bladder disorders usually can't make it to the bottom of the tank (they usually stay bobbed at the top). Is he badly bloated?
He isn't bloated at all, and never has been, which is what confuses me the most D:!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Sometimes as a fry they will be what is called a "faller" and some recover later to be sold and it will come back later and you can see those symptoms you are seeing now or the air above the water is too cold and dry or bacterial infection in the duct swim bladder area to name a few reasons.

Natural treatment is Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with daily 100% water changes, IAL or oak leaf steep water, plastic veggie wrap or something over the top of the tank to make the air warm and humid, high protein food with garlic juice or fresh garlic smashed into the food making a paste fed small amount 2 times a day, water temp kept in the 78-80F for 10 days

I like to pre-mix my water in a clean 1g jug with the leaves and epsom salt, this help with dosage and water changes.

Often if it is related to deformed swim bladder from birth they may not recover and in advanced cases of bacterial infection you may want to use a broad spectrum antibiotic, I don't use OTC medications so I can't advise....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote