Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #11 
mfskarphedin

I'm sorry about your fishie. :(

Were you using a Tetra 50W heater in a 1.5 gallon tank, and it didn't keep the temp up? Sounds like a faulty heater, because in theory, at a typical household temperature, 50W should heat more than ten gallons no-problem. I've got a 75W in my 29 gal, because my one and only NON-Jäger heater died recently. Yes, it's a stretch, but there are no fluctuations.

Or your thermometer could be off.
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #12 
NIB BETTA

I am using Hydro in one tank and Visi Therm in another, both are working a lot better and maintaining the temp at 78 - 79. The Tetra never got passed 74 and they are the 50 watt heaters in 6 gallon tanks.

One thing to note is I read the directions on my Visi Therm and it said to place the heater near a filter. The water flow from the filter will help it heat up the entire tank instead of the immediate area it is placed in. It makes sense. I tested my Tetra heaters by placing them in a cup of ice water and they brought the temp up to 78. So I know the internal thermometer is working. The next time I use them, I will make sure they are near a filter current.
NIB BETTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #13 
ThePearlFish

Quote:
I don't think it would work. I have the heater and I have the same problem only at night but I think it's better than the other heater I had that I had to plug and unplug and sometimes the water was over 82 degrees.
Anyway, I don't think it will work bc the the Tetra has a thermostat that shuts off when the heater so even if you had 2 heaters, I think, they would do the same as one.
oh ok ,thanks that clarify things. :) I DID notice overnight was worse.

Quote:
I didnt read anything about thermometres so I would say buy a couple of those they cost around a dollar from pet stores and see whats going on instead of judging by touch just to be doubley sure :)
yes, I felt it, but I also have been using a digital aquarium thermometer with a probe to gauge accurate temps. :)

Quote:
Were you using a Tetra 50W heater in a 1.5 gallon tank, and it didn't keep the temp up? Sounds like a faulty heater, because in theory, at a typical household temperature, 50W should heat more than ten gallons no-problem. I've got a 75W in my 29 gal, because my one and only NON-Jäger heater died recently. Yes, it's a stretch, but there are no fluctuations.

Or your thermometer could be off.
Maybe my thermometer is off, but in the other tanks it is fairly accurate at least, maybe I'll change the batteries to be double sure since I have had it since last May, but also, maybe it is a faulty heater too. I am not sure yet, I am going to test it in the glass 2.5g's I have.

Quote:
One thing to note is I read the directions on my Visi Therm and it said to place the heater near a filter. The water flow from the filter will help it heat up the entire tank instead of the immediate area it is placed in. It makes sense. I tested my Tetra heaters by placing them in a cup of ice water and they brought the temp up to 78. So I know the internal thermometer is working. The next time I use them, I will make sure they are near a filter current.
I am not using filters for my 2.5's cus the BF doesn't like how the power box thingie for the mini whispers heat up so much, plus they are reallly noisy vibrating all the time and I don't know of another mini-type filter.

I am using a 50w visitherm for one of my 2.5's cus I had it laying around, and that one seems to e in good working condition, but I will just have to re-test my tetra 50w heaters.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #14 
ThePearlFish

ok so even though I have a digital thermometer to gauge temps I double checked and tested the tank temps. with my temp gun I got for my reptiles and the two visitherms I have are awesome at keeping the tanks at a steady 81.2-81.6 degrees, but the tetra 50w's ALL are being kept steady at around 75 degrees. What the heck?? grr... I dunno... I used them too so I don't know if walmart will accept them back.. I dunno what to do.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #15 
ThePearlFish

I decided that I am going to attempt to return them. I took them out wiped them really dry and put them in their boxes as neatly as possible. I am going to stick with my trusty visitherms, even though they are more expensive.

The BF bought me one of the tetra 50w's and he hates returning things, but I'll make him return it, it was $15.57 including tax!

sighh, what an ordeal! :P
Old 06-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #16 
beta novice

r.i.p. lyre hes swimming with god now
beta novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #17 
mfskarphedin

I was thinking of getting one of the Tetras if I'm ever in the money (hahahahahahaha) to get "just in case" equipment, because I have a 5 gallon hospital tank. But for everything else, I only trust Ebo-Jager (now Eheim-Jager.) EVERY other brand of heater I've had has broken in some way - last one almost made Bouillabaisse. :p

Ok, the Stealth in my chiropractor's tank hasn't done anything suspicious yet, but it's only about 3-4 years old.
mfskarphedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #18 
ThePearlFish

yea, I am the kind of person who has trust issues if some piece of equipment or service goes wrong too I only trust ONE lady to do my eyebrows and even then I don't trust her completely, haha!

Anyhooo.. I returned the two heaters back to walmart and bf is going to return the one he bought for me. I got a hydor mini heater and that along with a strip light that I already have, the temp. in one tank is in the higher 70's, so I am going to do that with the other two tanks that don't have enough heat in them. The one with the visitherm (since that is a good heater......) I am going to use an LED light I ordered and If I get a ten gallon without a hood light I can use the remaining 3 LED lights from the ones I ordered to light up that tank. (I have a 75w visitherm for that tank when I get a 10g)

it all sounds very confusing, lol, but soon I'll have pics up of everything in the 'post your betta homes here' thread and will all make some sense
Old 06-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #19 
sjones

I have bought 4 tetras, the first two didn't work and the ones I just got only bring the water to 76 and these are in 1.5 gallon tanks so I'll stick by the marineland stealth recommendation.

Interestingly enough my hydor minis are doing a better job right now, I have two 1.5 gallons setups that are at 80 right now

Last edited by sjones; 06-14-2010 at 10:50 PM.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #20 
sjones

[quote=ThePearlFish;404595]yea, I am the kind of person who has trust issues if some piece of equipment or service goes wrong too I only trust ONE lady to do my eyebrows and even then I don't trust her completely, haha!

With good reason, I had an eyebrow lady take off the complete middle of my left eyebrow once.. she was like "OOOPS" and then told me I could pencil it in, twas not awesome at all.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote