Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #11 
Betta Slave

Here is what I do to entertain my bettas-
Yep, finger chase is a big one... especially for my hypers, Spiri and Hattie.
If I put my hand (clean, washed, and rinsed in de-chlorinated water!) in their tanks for a few minutes, they will play and nip at my fingers and even sit in my hands and let me stroke them. It takes a lot of trust, though.
Mirrors are a big one... 2-3 minutes a day. But instead of a mirror for Spiri, I let him show off to Hattie. Every time I see him, his colors seem brighter, and whenever he sees Hattie, his bubblenest gets bigger.
Yep, like Metalbetta says, my bettas like looking at different objects. I put a few different objects in front of their tanks a few times a day (a baseball hat, one of my plants, any old item) and they love it! I add in and experiment with what kind of plants they like, as well.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #12 
secuono

The more space they have, the more room they have to exercise and zoom around. I would say 5 gallons is a minimum though.
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #13 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Slave View Post
Here is what I do to entertain my bettas-
Yep, finger chase is a big one... especially for my hypers, Spiri and Hattie.
If I put my hand (clean, washed, and rinsed in de-chlorinated water!) in their tanks for a few minutes, they will play and nip at my fingers and even sit in my hands and let me stroke them. It takes a lot of trust, though.
Mirrors are a big one... 2-3 minutes a day. But instead of a mirror for Spiri, I let him show off to Hattie. Every time I see him, his colors seem brighter, and whenever he sees Hattie, his bubblenest gets bigger.
Yep, like Metalbetta says, my bettas like looking at different objects. I put a few different objects in front of their tanks a few times a day (a baseball hat, one of my plants, any old item) and they love it! I add in and experiment with what kind of plants they like, as well.
i am REALLY interested in the betta sitting in your hand:D what did you do for them to trust you so much?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #14 
Betta Slave

Start with putting your fingers in, really, really slowly, then let your whole hand go in. Let the betta nip at your hands. Then, if he hasn't freaked out yet, you can really slowly move your hand around a little bit.
You'll probably have to do this once or twice a day- it took my bettas a few days to a week to get used to it. Every time you've done this, and your hand is out of the water, give your betta a freeze-dried bloodworm. Once they're comfortable with your hand in the water, they'll rest on it. They enjoy being stroked gently as well. :)
Old 06-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #15 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Slave View Post
Start with putting your fingers in, really, really slowly, then let your whole hand go in. Let the betta nip at your hands. Then, if he hasn't freaked out yet, you can really slowly move your hand around a little bit.
You'll probably have to do this once or twice a day- it took my bettas a few days to a week to get used to it. Every time you've done this, and your hand is out of the water, give your betta a freeze-dried bloodworm. Once they're comfortable with your hand in the water, they'll rest on it. They enjoy being stroked gently as well. :)
BettaSlave: i have seen this happen before. On YouTube lol, yes i have but it just seems like you need a lot for your betta to actually trust you THAT much. but i will be attempting this. Also got one question, is it true that you can actually TEACH your betta tricks?

I have gotten my "Alpha Female"- Neptune to jump for her food:D. after that she has been jumping for everything. Just like when i give her water changes, i have to put little water in the water changing bowl so she doesn't jump out and hurt herself.

This has also worked for Goliath my first boy:D. and he jumps for his food too, but i havent done this with them for a long time:). so i have to i guess play with them a little more than i have been:)
Old 06-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #16 
Betta Slave

Yep, it's true. :) Though it takes a lot of work, I'm not sure if they'd be considered "tricks" or not.
I've taught Spiri to jump for his food, and Hattie can turn circles if I wave a bloodworm in front of her.
I think it would be more considered learned behaviour.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #17 
bettalover2033

ohh okay i see:). Also why do bettas just absolutely LOVE bloodworms? I feed mine Frozen brine shrimp.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #18 
Betta Slave

I really don't know... Some of mine don't like them.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #19 
smallvle

Seuss has 2 caves and a poufy silk plant, and he likes to "stalk" me. He'll hide in them when he sees me coming and when I get close to his tank, he rushes out and flares at me! Then he likes to hide and do it again! He's also started to jump for his flakes. : )
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #20 
smallvle

Oh! Also, I have some pics I took at various beaches on vacations, and i've found two pictures (I *think* they are 5 by 7?) Next to each other makes a nice background on my 2.5 gal, and I try to chagne the pics like once a month. Seuss loves the change of scenery, and sometimes will flare at the pictures, but it gives him something to do. So maybe you could try that? Find some nice pictures and scotch-tape them to the back of your vases.
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote