Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #1 
Betta Slave

Odd Scale and Eyes?

Hattie has had this for a while, and I just assumed it would go away, but I guess not!
She has this weird scale on the right side of her body. I'm not sure if it sticks out or something is under it, but it doesn't bother her. She goes around as if nothing's wrong. I'm not sure if she came like this, either. It's not a parasite for sure- she doesn't flash or scratch it against anything.
And in addition to that, she has miniscule white dots on each of her eyes. Again, these don't bug her and she goes around as if nothing's wrong. No flashing or scratching. She is actually the most active, happiest female I've ever seen and owned!
This is a picture that shows both the dot on her eye and her odd scale.

Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

Bump- No one has any ideas? It's just normal?
Old 06-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #3 
Eolith

Her eye looks fine to me... sort of unique really. She just looks like she has partial blue in her eyes, which is kinda cool. You see it in other animals (and sometimes even humans) occasionally. The scale I'm not so certain of, but it sounds like judging by her behavior that it's just an oddball scale.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #4 
Betta Slave

Alright, thanks. :) Yeah, that makes sense! I think I just worry too much. XD
Old 06-15-2010, 06:36 AM   #5 
sjones

Are you referring to the white dot in the pupil?
My fish had that when I first got him on both eyes, not cloudy eye, just a white dot and I never found an answer for what it was although I have seen some other posts on here with the same issue ( And an extensive internet search).
My conclusion was it was a sign of poor health after it went away after water changes every other day with aquarium salt for two weeks.
I'd be curious to know how it progresses for you.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #6 
Betta Slave

Yeah, the white dot in the centre. I'll mover her to a smaller tank to see how everything goes, and so water changes will be easier, a little bit.
Thanks. :)
Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #7 
Phoxly

Goku has that white dot too on his eyes, I don't know if its something to do with their oxygen intake, if they are tired, or what. I thought it was normal.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #8 
Eolith

I really think it's normal partial blue in her eyes. Sometimes it's more or less visible depending on how dark they are. When they are stressed out their bodies and eyes are more pale and it is easier to see the partial blue... but when they're healthy and full color it can be harder to see the partial blue in their eyes. That doesn't mean that your fish is necessarily stressed either, it's just an explanation for why some people have seen this in their fish as well but then it went away.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #9 
Phoxly

I can still see a little light grey in the center of Goku's eyes, its not clouded, just a speck like his iris. I dunno about scale discoloration?
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 AM   #10 
Betta Slave

I'm guessin the scale is normal... it just sticks out a bit. And the white spot in Hattie's eyes has mysteriously disappeared...! ()