Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #1 
LMac54

Hexagonal or Rectangular Tanks?

Over the summer, I'll be moving my two boys from a divided 2 gallon tank (I know. Bad me. I've heard it, so please don't lecture me) into their own separate tanks. Maybe 1-2 gallons each. I'll be shopping around for some good tanks, but I wanted some opinions.

Are there any pros/cons to either a long, rectangular tank or a tall, hexagonal tank?

I live in an apartment where space is an issue, so I figure a tall hexagonal tank is a good space saver and it's really cool-looking! However, I want to be able to decorate the tank more with plants and caves, which is what a long tank seems better for.

What do you think? I was also thinking about just getting a 5 gallon and divide it... but I want to be able to carry it around to clean. I dunno. I guess another question is: Divided tank or individual tanks?

Last edited by LMac54; 06-12-2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: blaring spelling errors!
LMac54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #2 
ThePearlFish

If you get an either 5g or 10g tank, you can split it into two sections, and the 5g will give each of them 2.5g's or the 10g will give them 5g's each. They both are fairly small tanks that really don't tank up a whole lot of room. they also both would give plenty of room for lots of decorations.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #3 
dr2b

Honestly, for the price you pay for a 5 gallon... you could buy the 10 gallon (which isn't that much bigger). I personally feel most tanks below a 10 gallon are overly priced. I think even if you got the 5 gallon you could divide it and everyone would be happy. They'd each have 2.5 gallon and you'd have more space. :)
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #4 
LMac54

For divided tanks, do you need to have two of all the works? Like one heater, thermometer and filter for each side? Or can I get away with just one of each?

My two boys aren't really fond of each other, they flare at each other all the time. Their divider right now is solid/clear glass with little gaps on the sides. To prevent them from seeing other, I wrapped a piece of opaque plastic around the glass. Should their hatred for each other be solved with a bigger divided tank? Or should I keep them in separate tanks?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #5 
darkangel216

Even with a bigger divided tank, if they see each other, chances are they will flare. This is true with most male bettas. One way to reduce this is to put a lot of plants on both sides of the divider so they can't see each other as easily. Another thing you could do is to use dividers that aren't clear. A cheap way to do this is to make your own dividers with plastic mesh, which has holes in it and is harder to see through. Here's a link to a site that tells you how to make them: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/ I tried it and it works, though I siliconed mine in place so I won't have to worry about one getting loose. Hope this helps you. :)
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #6 
ParisRose

Just my assumption but I would vote two tanks rather than a divided tank. It would be easier to treat illness that way. As far as shape I'd say that's personal opinion. I have a hexagonal that I keep on top of my dresser.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #7 
wallywestisthebest333

well I'd get a 10 gallon and divide it in 2. I think that's actually what I'm gonna do when I get paid on Wednesday. I'll keep my 5 gallon too but I'll get another betta for that one. =] Also! Keep a 1 gallon vase around for a hospital/quarantine tank! It'll be invaluable if one of your fish friends gets sick. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:38 AM   #8 
LMac54

Ugh! I just can't decide! I feel like with each boy to his own tank, I could decorate them and they'll be really individual. Plus they'll be easier to carry. Plus ParisRose had a good point of being able to treat illnesses better in their own tank.

Then again, one big tank with one filter and one heater is a lot cheaper. And the DIY mesh divider is very doable for me.

One option too many!!
Old 06-15-2010, 05:31 AM   #9 
ThePearlFish

Here where I live a 2.5g is 13.99 and with tax somewhere between 14-15. a ten gallon without the hood or anything else is just 14.99, the one that comes with a filter, heater, hood is around 36.99. good deal. tanks dividers for a ten gallon is no more than 10 bucks. you maybe can find a cheap ten gallon off craigslist. Sometimes they sell them on CL with filter heater and other accesories.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #10 
onefish2fish

i dont know if this is what you mean, but you never want to "carry a tank to clean it" or even so, carry a full tank period. even if its light enough to pick up, the weight inside the tank ( water, gravel.... ) does a job on the silicon seal around the bottom edge of the glass. you may not see a leak the first time around but soon enough and now your tank is no longer water tight.
you never want to empty the entire tank to clean it anyways, these "thorough" cleanings kill any beneficial bacteria that your trying to harvest for a healthy tank. i suggest investing in a small gravel vac ( prob. no more then $15 ) and an empty bucket to do a water change right where the tank sits. your only going to want to remove about 10% of the water anyways when you clean to limit stress on the fish and again that bacteria we wait patiently to get. again i dont know if thats what you meant when you said carry to clean but i wanted to cover that.

on the topic of tanks, i personally dont like the hex's because they are rather tall which makes light harder to penetrate to the lower parts of the tank for plant growth. i also find fish use more of the tank when its rectangular. if you were doing something like angel fish i'd say go for the tallness. i guess it really will just come down to personal preference.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote