Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #1 
sjones

5 gallon tank idea-feedback appreciated

I am becoming overwhelmed with water changes and have the idea to set up a 5 gallon critter keeper as a cycled tank,
So, I was reading this thread and saw TOM internal mini filter suggested.
If I get one of these and throw it in a five gallon critter keeper is that enough to get my cycle going?
I would also like to add some plants eventually..
I need my heater with the fish until he goes in the new tank..
What else do I need to buy to get this cycle started? :)
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #2 
sjones

I just read http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/

and apparently I just need a dead shrimp! AHHH! disgusting.
I don't know if I can watch a shrimp rot for a month, anyways what size shrimp would I need for a 5 gallon tank?

I'm too creeped out by the direct ammonia adding. Maybe I'm too much of a pansy for this.. Perhaps i am overdoing the water changes (every 3 days at 100% plus complete tank scrub down for the three gallon and every other day 100% changes for the 1.5 gallons plus complete scrub down,,It's taking me about 2 hours to do these and It's too time consuming.

suggestions?
Old 06-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

You would put the shrimp in a piece of pantyhose so you wouldn't really have to touch it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #4 
sjones

The shrimp looks more attractive in the pantyhose? lol!
Thanks~
Old 06-07-2010, 01:10 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

I don't like the thought of rotting food in my tanks. You don't know if some other harmful bacteria is growing along with the good bacteria. Personally I would either do the ammonia or do a fish in cycle.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #6 
sjones

Good point.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #7 
JKfish

Well, I'm about to do cycle with a piece of dead shrimp, because pure ammonia and fish food is not an option, and I only have my betta fish right now, so I can't do a fish in cycle :P I have a really stupid question, but the shrimp are un-shelled, and they have their heads still on and everything. Do I have to unshell them, or can I just stick them in as is?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #8 
sjones

As long as it wearing pantyhose I think it is good..kidding but I don't know, I am interested to see how your cycle goes, please keep me updated on how it turns out, (as I only have one fish for the tank and didn't know you couldn't cycle with one betta)
Old 06-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #9 
JKfish

Well, the tank I'm going to cycle is 10 gallons, and he's just one tiny little fish, plus I don't want to risk him getting hurt by the ammonia. :/

I went ahead and decapitated two small shrimp, pulled off their legs, and shelled them, then put them in a little mesh bag in the tank around noon. (good thing I'm no sqeemish :P) The water's turned more murky than when I started, and it smells sorta bad, like a turtle tank. I'm going to test the water tomorrow when my dad brings home his electronic water tester (does anyone have any experience with them and know if they are very accurate?) , and see if the ammonia is building up.

Last edited by JKfish; 06-07-2010 at 08:13 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #10 
sjones

Hmm, sounds like a good start (ugh) I wonder how long it will take to get the nitrates and nitrites, sure would be nice not to have to do so many water changes!!
Keep us updated!