Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2010, 01:59 AM   #1 
LMac54

Question Water Changing help!!!

I'm confused. I hear two opposing things about water changes all the time.

I hear that you shouldn't use a net with your bettas because it can rip their fins.

I also hear that you shouldn't use old water to contain your betta while doing a water change. You also shouldn't put any of that old water into your freshly changed water.

I always hear: DON'T USE OLD WATER! or NETS CAN TEAR THEIR FINS!
I keep hearing both! But how can you not do either one?!

Since I'd rather not hurt my fish, I haven't been using a net. I've just been scooping up my betta with the cup I keep him in while I'm changing the water. When I'm done, I just dump him and the water back into the tank (after I let the cup float for a while.)

So confused!! What's the correct way to move your fish in and out of the tank? Is there a correct way? Without stressing them out?
LMac54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:42 AM   #2 
LMac54

Now I've found sources that say DO NOT REMOVE YOUR BETTA FROM THE TANK. wtf?

More confused!!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:26 AM   #3 

Is not neceessary to remove fish from the tank to wipe down the glass and or perform water changes. Can use a small syphon found at fish stores to change water and use a clean paper towel folded into fourths to clean the glass. Syphon can also be used to clean the gravel.
Those that remove the fish from their tanks to perform these tasks are creating stress for the fish which in turn leads to possible sick fish.
Use a good dechlorinator that removes or detoxifys AMMONIA,CHLORINE. Prime is an excellent choice and is used by many . See that new water is treated before it goes in the tank and that the temp of water is not too cold or too hot.
The fact that many folks DO catch up their fish and remove them to perform the afore mentioned tasks, only proves that many folks are mis-informed on proper care of tropical fishes.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #4 
LMac54

Then, do you never actually do 100% water changes if you never remove the fish?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #5 
a123andpoof

From what I have heard you need to do a 100% water change once a week to every other week if you do not have a filter. It also depends on the size tank. I use a net for my one fish as it is the only way to get him out of the bowl. So just be careful. It may stress them out a little, but I find them to be fine. I would recommend 100% changes. When I do that I always feel much better cause when you empty the water and clean the gravel you see how horribly dirty the water is. I have a vac, but I haven't used it yet. So can't say anything about them yet.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #6 
smallvle

Not taking your Betta out is the best option, but for some of us with smaller tanks (like my 2.5 gal,) you have to take the fish out b/c it is much less stressful. That being said, LMac54, my fish, Seuss, used to be just fine with netting (before I knew it could rip his fins,) but within the past few months it was really stressing him out. Now I can distract him at the top of his tank and sneak the cup behind him, and whoosh! he's in before he knows what hit him! : )

Depending on what size tank/ bowl you have, and how much water you take out at a time, depends on how much old water you want back in the clean tank. For ex.; my 2.5 gal I do a 50% water change once a week, so there is still some old water left in it, (and I also have a filter,) so the little old water in the cup won't make much of a difference. But if you have a 1 gal or smaller (esp. unfiltered,) and are doing 100% water changes, that small amount of ammonia in the old water in the cup (to me,) would be just adding ammonia back to a clean tank, though it's not the end of the world, just try to get as little old water in the clean stuff as possible.

Recap:
-Cupping is better (I'd say anything less than a 5 gal you should probably take the betta out, b/c it will be less stressful because the space you're cleaning is so small.) Though if you use a net carefully, you can net.
-If you do a 100% water change, try to get as little old water as possible in the new water, but if you leave some old water in the tank/ bowl, you can put the old stuff back in.

Sorry, I tend to be waaay over-detailed. : ) These are just my opinions, and what i've found work for me, but I hope this helps you a little.
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #7 
LMac54

Too much details is good for me!! I'm such a paranoid fish newb, so I want to learn every single thing. Thanks so much.

Small tanks - use net. Big tank - use cup.

I made a 100% water change today and I netted my fish for the first time. I was so nervous!! They were fine though. I let them wait in their cups full of clean, conditioned, stress coated water.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:20 AM   #8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMac54 View Post
Then, do you never actually do 100% water changes if you never remove the fish?

100 percent water changes are just as stressful as netting the fish out if one understands osmoregulatory functions of the fishes we keep. Fish are adapting constantly to their enviornment by osmoregulation,
they are adjsting to the salts,minerals,and organics found in the water of a closed system.
Sudden changes to the enviornment make osmoregulation more stressful .
Those who report filthy water as reasoning for changing 100 perecent of the water are feeding too much food,or not performing regular water changes frequently enough, or keeping fish in unfiltered tanks.
Pollution in the tank from fish waste,foods offered and uneaten,and or decaying plant matter, are dealt with by diluting the pollution through water changes and by careful feeding along with proper filtration.
Those who report that they must remove the fish to prevent stessing the fish are mistaken ,and or keeping the fish in too small of enviornment.
In a cyled,heated,filtered tank of 5 gal per betta,,, weekly water change of 25 to 50 percent is all that is needed.

Last edited by 1077; 06-16-2010 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:22 PM   #9 
smallvle

yeah, but unfortunatly, not all of us have the time (or money) for a 5 gal tank.
: ( (though i am trying to save up for one.)
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:37 AM   #10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvle View Post
yeah, but unfortunatly, not all of us have the time (or money) for a 5 gal tank.
: ( (though i am trying to save up for one.)
If one does not have the time to maintain a tank whether it be 5 gal or 100 gal, then they should pursue another hobby. A 5 gal bucket with a heater and sponge filter would be far better enviornment for Betta than the piddly little vases,bowls,and critter keepers.