Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #1 
Hermitpaws

Exclamation Drity Tank Problem Need Help!!

ok here the info:

Tank: 2.5 gal
Contains: 1 Betta fish, 1 Male Mystery Black Snail
Substrate: Round Stone pebbles.
Plants:live ( some kinda grass and a AquaFern.)
Filter: yes Brand:Penn-Plex Small world filter. Change it every 2 weeks.
Feeding time: 1 time a day every day but Monday.
Type of food: altering back an forth from blood worms to pellet food.
Cleaning time : Friday of every week. full change every other week. 50% change in between.

PROBLEM: 2 days after a FULL tank cleaning and filter change the water gets cloudy.

Question: is my problem the filter, the snail or the aqua fern ( i know its not a aqua plant.)or is it something else????
Any thing helps!!!Thanks.
Hermitpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

With a filter I would change the water changing schedule to twice weekly 50% water changes, vacuuming the substrate with one of the water changes.
The filter media just needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change 1-2 times a month or when the water flow slows. You want the filter media to look dirty and the rinse in old tank water is to remove the big pieces of gunk and to keep the good bacteria alive.
I would remove the non-aquatic plants, this is part of your clouding problem and over cleaning the filter media.
This cleaning schedule is based on not over feeding and removing all uneaten food after feeding.
Always use a dechloranator with any new water added to the tank if you are on city water supply and keep the water temp within a couple of degree from new and old water to prevent temp shock issues.
Love to see some pics.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #3 
Hermitpaws

Thank you so much for responding!!! My fish was going Crazy on me and the tank was just Driving me up a wall!!!
oh ya i clean and boil the rocks every time i do a 100% tank cleaning.

And also one last Question: Are spider plants safe to put at the top of the tank?
Old 06-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Be careful boiling or putting rock in the oven, some will blow-up on you, hot water should do the trick if you need to clean them and safer.....and since you have a filter you really don't need to make the complete water changes.

As far as the spider plants, I am not sure, I have used peace lily in my HBO filters and I use weeping willow branches in my tank for extra nutrient up-take and they look kinda neat growing out of my tanks, but I have never heard of the spider plant being used, you can use the Ivy type plants to root out in the tanks. I would look them up and make sure they are not toxic and give it a try if they are safe.
I am going to try a sweet potato this year and root out in my 55g and I am sure my plecos will enjoy a nibble or two on them as well, once I figure out how to add half in and half out and it look good and not sink....lol....
Old 06-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #5 
Hermitpaws

thanks again, and i looked up spider plants,
their safe for Dogs,cats, Rodents, and Hermit crabs to nibble on. but i also Called my local fish store " Neptune's tropical fish" and they said they have some float on the top of there koi tank and is safe.... so i guess the verdict is their safe?
oh and here some pic of my 2.5 gal. i had to use 2 fake plants because i got rid of the biggest plant ( the Aqua Fern) and also my craft "the balancing stones" are in front and center. But over all it looks great!!( and i think my snail like the fake plants better.) hehe.

Last edited by Hermitpaws; 08-21-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Very nice.....like the rock work you made, what do you use to hold them together?
Good to know that about the spider plant to bad I don't have any or I would give it a try too.....

Also, your other plant looks like Mondo grass and it is not aquatic and will rot and die fouling the water, its a great bog plant though.....
Old 06-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #7 
Hermitpaws

I used aquarium Silicon/Sealant to hold the rocks together. the Direction are on my website.

i was wondering about that little guy(plant) hmmm.....i think its time to stand up to petco!!! No more non-aquarium plants!!!! guess ill stick with fake plants from now on. ( the snails seem to like to climb on them any ways)
Old 06-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

That shop is bad about selling non-aquatic plants....