Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #31 
1fish2fish

Your young right? Like still living at home? If there is something in your water that is killing your fish you should let your parents know, there could be something leeching into your water that is not only killing your fish but could potentially be harmful to people. They might want to have it tested professionally.

Google API Freshwater Master Test Kit to find them online.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #32 
Phoxly

I wouldn't put the new betta in the old water, if you are going to I'd start fresh with new stress coat, treatments, dechlorinator, and betta water if you can. Its hard to give advice because the advice changes between the tank sizes. Since your tank is fairly small its easy to just add all new water and treat it.

Do you do 100% water changes? Or 50% with your 1.5 gallon? I've heard from lots of people that frequent full water changes in any size tank can be stressful.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #33 
Arzela

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Your young right? Like still living at home? If there is something in your water that is killing your fish you should let your parents know, there could be something leeching into your water that is not only killing your fish but could potentially be harmful to people. They might want to have it tested professionally.

Google API Freshwater Master Test Kit to find them online.
Seconding this. Well water can have all sorts of contaminants in it (from metals to various microorganisms) and it could possibly harm humans, not just fish. I would think at this point, it really isn't something to mess with. :(

I would say to try RO water if you had a pet store nearby, but since you've said you only have wal-mart... maybe sticking to bottled water would be the best option. =/ Would get expensive after a while though...
Old 06-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #34 
sjones

I'm pretty annoyed that you constantly ignored the advice I and otheres gave you about your well water being the culprit, in fact I wrote a long post about it and you completely ignored it.To get another betta now would just be negligent and no a test kit isn't going to help if there's something else besides ammonia and nitrate/nitrate in the water.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #35 
metalbetta

I've got to agree with sjones up there. I'm sorry for your loss and that must suck, but the people here trying to give you advice definitely know what they're talking about.
Please please please do your research before buying another one! I'll help all I can, but please make sure youre providing a good home for your next one.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #36 
Betta Slave

And I'm agreeing with sjones as well.
We're trying to help. Yes, as metalbetta has said, the people here do happen know what they're talking about!
Research, research!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #37 
Jennyinurmouth

You really need to alert someone and get the water tested, if something is killing the fish, then it could be harmful to you.
I have read that well water can contain remnants of fertilizers and pesticides, not only that, but harmful minerals like aresnic. It is possible that that could be a factor in the fish's death. They could also be harming you little bits; Just think, and fish is much smaller than you so a little of something that won't really HURT a human can kill a fish.

Yeah well water can contain heavy metals, like zinc, iron ect, which a decholrinator is supposed to get rid of if I am not mistaken...
anyways, it is linked to deaths in many fishes I have read.
I have also read that well water can contain dangerous trapped gases; CO2 which is bad for the fish, and lowers the ph a lot... To prevent it, you can get an air pump and aerate the water before use in your aquarium maybe for a day.
That proccess also will allow any excess chlorine to evaporate.

There are a lot of variable, so the best option since the fish are dying, is to test the water, or better yet, get a sample tested.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:04 AM   #38 
MyLittleShinyBobMarley

I'm so sorry my fish died as well :(
Old 06-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #39 
Alienbetta1
Banned

Im listening but I think its just the fish cause we can keep all kind of fish in are well water and Walmart fish usually die a day or so after buying them.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #40 
Alexanderismylife

I'm sorry!!!!! :[[[[[[ That is a betta horror movie!!!!!
Closed Thread