Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #1 
AliciaH

Angry totally confused... ammonia is making me crazy

A few days ago I had posted about issues with ammonia and had concluded that I basically did too much cleaning at once in my two gallon tank and disrupted the bio system; as I was getting ammonia readings between 0.5-1 ppm. So I decided to put my betta in a kritter keeper with heater (holds 2.5 gallons of water with all the gravel & decor) and do water changes until the tank leveled out. I am having the same problem in the kritter keeper! I tested the water in the keeper on the second day of him being in there and the ammonia was up again. I tested the tap water again and this time there seemed to be some ammonia there too. So I thought I had it narrowed down to the tap water. I tested filtered water from the tap and got 0 ammonia. So I changed the whole kritter keeper water with the filtered water yesterday, and not 12 hours later we are back up to 0.5 ppm. Is my betta just producing that much waste?? I feed him 3-4 pellets twice a day (instructions say 2-4 pellets 2-3 times a day depending on fish). I should also note I have been using prime to condition the water. I thought maybe the prime was giving me false readings but when I test the filtered water with prime in it, it comes out 0 ppm.

I must be missing something... how often should I have to change the water in the (uncycled unfiltered, just heated) 2.5 gallon kritter keeper??
AliciaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #2 
Neelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaH View Post
I must be missing something... how often should I have to change the water in the (uncycled unfiltered, just heated) 2.5 gallon kritter keeper??
i had the same critter keepers, and i did mine 100% sundays morns and 100% wednesdays eve's and it was good... hardly ever did 50% caus im lazy, unless i had a sick fish to treat lol
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #3 
AliciaH

All I can figure is that he creates a lot of waste? I watch him eat all of his food, so I know there isn't any extra food spoiling in the water. He had a 100% water change yesterday and today I did 3 40% water changes to get the ammonia down...
AliciaH is offline   Reply With Quote