Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #1 
ranetree

Super-Naive Stocking Questions

I'm gonna be getting an Aqueon 13 Gallon tank, and I wanted to turn it into a small community-type tank with a lone male betta as its "crown jewel". I've seen others recommend that because of its weird dimensions (24x8x16) it should be treated like a 10G in terms of bioload.

I've been looking at stocking guides and threads here on the forums and I'm...not sure I get it.

For example, say I'm stocking it with one betta and a school of 6 neon tetras. Is that considered to be fully-stocked, since on one of the threads it says that you can have one betta and six neons in a 10G tank? Might I be able to squeeze in another school of small fish, or perhaps a shrimp or two?

Similarly, one of the compatability guides says that you can have one bristlenose pleco in a tank that's 2.5 feet long. Assuming my tank was that length (it's not), does that mean that in that 2.5 foot tank, I could only have one betta and one pleco or else that tank would be overstocked? Or does that just mean that I couldn't have any more bottom-swimming fish?

Does the level that the fish prefers to swim at have any bearing whatsoever on stocking, or is it solely a matter of bioload? Let's say I wanted to stock a tank with a school of high-swimming fish, a singular middle-swimmer, and a bottom-feeding fish of some sort. (If I could think of any species I'd list them.) I realize that's horribly vague, but does it make sense, and if so, would that tank be properly stocked, since I'm not overpopulating any one area of the tank?

I want a lively tank, but I also want healthy fish! Help is appreciated!
ranetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #2 
tankman12

I wouldnt put a bn in there. They get quite big, males can reach up to 5-6 inches. Their bio load is also quite large.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #3 
Zuzu

Give this website a try: http://www.aqadvisor.com/
Zuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #4 
ranetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman12 View Post
I wouldnt put a bn in there. They get quite big, males can reach up to 5-6 inches. Their bio load is also quite large.
Posted via Mobile Device
I didn't say I was going to put a bristlenose in there. I was asking a question about a hypothetical tank which I do not own, in the hopes of better understanding how aquarium stocking works. Please re-read that section of the post again.

Last edited by ranetree; 08-29-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #5 
tankman12

Oh okay, pretty confusing post.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #6 
ranetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Give this website a try: http://www.aqadvisor.com/
Whoa, neat! Thank you!

Further question: On that site, it says that in smaller tanks, you should only keep a betta with one shoal of other fish. Would you consider the tank I have here too small for two shoals? Again, I'd love to have an active, lively tank with lots of colorful fish, but I don't want it to get too crowded for the betta (or anyone, really).