Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #1 
ParisRose

Cycle

I have a 2 gal setup for Napoleon. I just switched to using stress coat for a water conditioner today. I think TopFin was making the water cloudy. Today my mom made me move the tank up to my sister's room since my room isn't stable. I decided it would be a great time to do an all over cleaning since the water was cloudy to the point you couldn't make him out if he was at the back of the tank. So what I did was emptied the tank, and rinsed everything with super hot water. I replaced everything back into the tank in it's new location. (atop a dresser) I wasn't sure if this means that I should cycle the tank again. It's only one fish. So do I really need to cycle? Currently he's sitting in his half gal thing that came with him.
In summary,
1. Is it safe to put him back in the two gal setup?
2. What are those bubbles on the inside of the tank that seem to cover everything?
Thanks for listening.
P.S. I have been having computer issues so some of my stuff got double posted.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #2 
LennonJohnX

The bubbles would be a bubble net if I remember right. My betta John does the same thing.
LennonJohnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

The bubbles on the walls and decoration in a newly fresh filled tank are usually from an aerator at the source water site. Rare cases of these bubble being pulled in by the fish and causing air embolism
You can use a clean hand and pop them or a net.

In a 2g tank with a filter the tank can cycle, however, IMO due to the number of regular water changes needed in that size tank- cycling is a non-issue when you make twice weekly 50% water changes that the tank needs for quality water for the fish heath.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #4 
carolyn

oldfishlady, are you saying that it would not be necessary to cycle a 2 gallon tank? I have a 2.5 gal tank sitting on the table that I am deciding what to do with it. I want to move 1 of my bettas from his 1 gal bowl into it. You think I could set it up and put him in right away?
carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #5 
carolyn

Parisrose, I'm sorry for interrupting your thread.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn View Post
oldfishlady, are you saying that it would not be necessary to cycle a 2 gallon tank? I have a 2.5 gal tank sitting on the table that I am deciding what to do with it. I want to move 1 of my bettas from his 1 gal bowl into it. You think I could set it up and put him in right away?
IMO, yes, set-it up and get the temp stable, then make regular water changes 50% twice a week and vacuum the substrate with one of the twice weekly water changes if it has a filter, if no filter, make one of the 50% a 100%- making twice weekly one 50% and one 100%.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #7 
carolyn

Easy enough. Thank you
Old 06-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #8 
ParisRose

C- it's all good
Old Fish Lady - Thanks. He's a lot happier in the 2 gal than the little half gal.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #9 
Adastra

Cycling or not cycling is really just a lifestyle decision. If you have a good amount of porous gravel and a filter, a two gallon can maintain its cycle easily with 30%-50% water changes a week (especially if you used the fishless method to cycle.) Any smaller than two gallons and I wouldn't bother, though. If you added a plant like java moss to the tank, you could potentially get away with changing less water--but you should always rely upon your water testing equipment rather than your intuition. The numbers speak for themselves, after all. The overwhelming majority of the bacteria does not live in the water column, it resides in the gravel and the filter media, so as long as these sources aren't shocked in some way, the cycle should remain stable.

Plenty of people like to go the uncycled route with little tanks, and that's just as effective. Some people like it more because it doesn't subject the fish to the filter current. You simply have to keep up with cleaning (and I mean REALLY rinsing it all out) and 100% water changes. Only 100% changes can remove all of the ammonia. If you change 50% one day and 50% another, you'll still have ammonia left over, right? :) So no skipping those 100% changes. It would save you some time if you skipped the gravel in this case--one less thing to clean, and it's not doing you any good except looking kinda pretty. If you added a plant like java moss, it would give you more margin for error with your cleaning and changes.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Very true, however, you can't test for the DOC's that build up in the tank that are equally harmful to the fish, the smaller the volume of water the faster they build, regardless if the tank is filtered or cycled.
Bettas fins are delicate and a tiny amount of ammonia and DOC's (dissolved organics) can be harmful. This is why I recommend 50% twice weekly water changes on 2.5-6g tanks with filter and without filter a 50% and 100% weekly. On 2g and less daily to every-other day.