Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #11 
Phoxly

I am pretty sure the readings are based on a CYCLED tank. Uncycled tanks can require alot more changes. The fish store guy told me with just a betta in a 10 gallon I would only need 10% changes weekly if it was cycled, or cycling. I've read that uncycled tanks can need up to 50% changes weekly.

Last edited by Phoxly; 06-15-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #12 
LucyLoofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxly View Post
I am pretty sure the readings are based on a CYCLED tank. Uncycled tanks can require alot more changes. The fish store guy told me with just a betta in a 10 gallon I would only need 10% changes weekly if it was cycled, or cycling. I've read that uncycled tanks can need up to 50% changes weekly.
:) thank you very very much!
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:14 AM   #13 
dipsydoodlenoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xswornxoffxjello View Post
I posted before about the 10gal I got off of Craigslist. I put a little bit of bleach in a three gallon bucket and filled the tank, then I scrubbed and rinsed it for a long time. (I didn't have a sponge so I used a clean rag.) I let it dry overnight in the sun outside, then I did it all over again in the morning (minus the bleach and with a different rag). I've got it cycling right now, but I'm still nervous. Do you think it will be okay to put fish in?
Perfectly fine; that is how you sterilize a tank. So long as you cycle it, it will be fine (I have done the same with my tank :))
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote