Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #1 
wallywestisthebest333

Exclamation SON OF A!!!!! MY FILTER BROKE!!!!!!! Also silk plants

Ok So today I had a great day. =]

Today was great!

WAS.

When I got home I discovered that the power had gone out. (Drumroll please!)

Guess what I found when I went to check on my fish? I found a Bubble nest!!!! =D I was SOOOOO excited!!!!

Until I realized that for the bubble nest to be sitting still like that there must've been something wrong with my really strong non-adjustable filter.

Apparently it emptied itself when the power went out and had been running empty the whole day.

It's not working at all anymore.

I HAD the filter from the Aqua Culture 5 Gallon Aquarium Kit by Tetra. (Sold at Walmart)

So does anyone have a suggestion for a new filter? What do you guys like best?

Also I want to get some plants for my tank as it's pretty bare right now but I don't have the time, resources, or patience to deal with live ones.

So I was wondering.... Can I use ANY silk plants? Like silk flowers and grasses from the art supply store? Or does it have to be specifically aquarium safe for me to use it? If so where can I get a nice big pack of light green silk plants? I don't like the dark stuff or the red stuff. =/
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

They sell the same kind of filter at Wal-mart. It's the 5-15 gallon one. You can just make a baffle from a water bottle for it so it's not strong.

Yes you can use plants from a craft store. You just have to make sure that there is nothing on it or the plants aren't dyed. Best thing to do is soak them for a couple of days and if the water discolors you can't use them. You should also think about the wires in some plants, they can affect your water chemistry. Walmart and Michael's would be a good place to look.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:36 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I am not sure about the type of filter you have, but most filters you can tear apart and fix them and if you can't fix it at least you know how the insides work by tearing it apart. Sometimes the propeller is jammed and just needs lubed or cleaned.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #4 
52cherish

If you are fast, you can get an Aqueon power filter from Petco.com. They run a special right now, no shipping fee on orders over $55, the filters are 20 -25% off and they give you a free 3-pack cartridges for free with each ordered Aqueon filter. They also have a great selection on silk plants and other plants and deco online.
I just ordered two there last week and the promotion ends tomorrow, it's worth checking out. I got the 5-20 gal filter for my 2 10 gal tanks. Although they are labeled power filter with decorations placed in the right spot the bettas don't mind. Our male VT actually swims up to the current and hangs out there for a while as if he's enjoying a little body massage...
The neon tetras are staying away from it so far, but I just added them this morning.

Last edited by 52cherish; 06-16-2010 at 06:37 PM.
52cherish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

It was baffled. =] There was still a pretty strong current that would have prevented a bubble nest from staying in place though. YAY! I can put any kind of silk plant I want in there! =D

I'll look into that Aqueon filter and Petco products! =] Does it prevent/not create a current? NoFace/NoName/Magik/Alakazam really loved not having that current in there. =]

Btw anyone got any ideas on a name or a favorite out of my current 4? =]
Old 06-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

I just fixed my filter! =D Huzzah!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
I just fixed my filter! =D Huzzah!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome, most are pretty simple put together and pretty easy to fix.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #8 
Phether

How did you fix it? My filter was running empty for a few minutes and just broke as well. -_-
Phether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #9 
frogipoi

frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

Why Thank you! =]

Tags
bubble nest, filter, plants, silk, silk plants