Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #1 
Phoxly

Live plants make more of a mess than the fish do?

When do my plants ever stop making huge messes all along the top of my tank and the bottom floor? Holy crap.

This makes me want fake plants in a bad way..... .____.

Last edited by Phoxly; 06-15-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #2 
Phoxly

Will Ghost Shrimp/Ottos/Cory's help this problem out at all? I mostly hate the tiny debris that get stuck in the dips in the sand. I swear I just did a 50% vacuum clean and took every plant out, and there is already crap back in it .___. whhhhhyyyyy. Goku is so happy, but thats only because he can't see the big picture lol.

Also, do I have to take out my plants every time I water change/clean? =/ (Its a 10 gallon.)

Last edited by Phoxly; 06-15-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #3 
vaygirl

It's the nature of live plants. Hehe. The best you can do is pinch off any dying or yellowing leaves every day when you check the tank. They might be dying off cause they're new. It happens. Then they'll grow back. But live plants generally are like any living thing. They're messy. :)

Some plants I found that don't leave a big mess? Anubias (I have lancelota and nana), Java fern (as long as you pinch off dead leaves), Marimo balls, Wendtii (just got it but so far it's doing well), and green temple (this is SO pretty but also new so we'll see). All of these are low light and I have them in my 10 gallon. I love wisteria but it's SUCH a mess. I constantly have leaves dropping off and floating around. Although, Tango uses them to make bubble nests.

Shrimp will eat debris. But your guy might eat the shrimp. Corys won't do a thing for it. Mine cruise right over debris. I don't know about Otos. I've never had them but I think they're strictly algae guys. Maybe google them.

No, you don't have to move them or take them out. Just go around. I never move mine on purpose but sometimes they come out on their own from the siphon. Gosh I'm all over your questions today. You'll think I'm stalking you! :P
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #4 
Phoxly

Haha but you are very helpful! Thanks a ton. I woke up this morning and all my leaves were sucked to my filter suction, which is good I guess...? I'll need to turn the filter off daily to get the crud off. I think it was the transplant that caused most of the problems. All my plants are really new (less than a week) so Its expected.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #5 
vaygirl

Yep, you'll just have to do that. I reach in sometimes and pull the leaves off by hand. But mostly I pull the intake tube off when I'm changing the water and swish it around in my dirty tank water bucket. Still, half of the leaves fall off as I'm pulling it out of the tank and then they get sucked right back on. It's a losing battle. :P You're welcome too!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #6 
dr2b

Otos won't eat the debris on the bottom. They eat algae and are good tank wall cleaners. I haven't really found plants to make that big of a mess. I agree with what Vaygirl said about the plants that don't make as big of a mess. As long as you pinch off the dead leaves on the wendtii it won't make a mess either :)
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote