Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #1 
newfishmom

Oto or Snail? Which do you like?

Ok, I am wanting something to go into my two 5 gallon tanks. I have been reading up on Otocinclus vestitus or the different snails. So far I am leaning to the oto. I think 3 otos in each of the 5 gallons would be ok. My question is.......
I have plastic/silk plants. There is some algea growing on the plants. And the driftwood that I have placed in there has some fuzzy looking stuff on it. When I vacuum I usually suck as much of the fuzzy stuff off. Anyway....would the otos be ok in this?

Also, I read that they poo alot. Do you need to up the vacuuming?
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #2 
Phoxly

I think the bigger question (one I've been asking myself for my 10 gallon) is Otos or Cory's?

Snails are a pain to clean up after, they poop everywhere, and their poo is REALLY sticky like a leech on your live plants :(
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #3 
caroro

NEVER snails! I hate snails. They reproduce like CRAZY, and then it's difficult to get rid of them.

I agree with Phoxly. It's either cories or otos. I don't like to keep my cories separated though since they're very social fish. I say go for otos.
caroro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #4 
Phoxly

I've been told for 10g community tanks 3 lil cory's is great, but if its a 5g and its just a betta you can probably do 3 cory's. Otos are cuter though :D

Otos eat Algae, while Cory's eat pretty much EVERYTHING on the bottom of your tank (or so I have read) but won't do much for your serious algae issues.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #5 
caroro

No fish will eat poop though. If you're having an over-feeding issue, cories are good for that. If you're having an algae issue, otos are the way to go. Both? Well get two cories and an oto.

And I very much disagree, Phoxly. Cories are WAY cuter!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #6 
Phoxly

Panda Corydoras and other colored Cory's are cute, but cmon look at those lil eyes!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #7 
caroro

No picture can capture the Cory's cuteness. You have to watch them in a video as they swim and play together. CUTEST THING EVER
Old 06-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #8 
Phoxly

Maybe I'll check them out at the petco by my house haha. I like oto's when they spazz out zigzagging across whatever they are cleaning. Reminds me of someone on crack just snorting it all up as they go along. (horrible description lol but thats what I think of)
Old 06-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #9 
caroro

The store cories don't do justice. Give them space to swim together and that's when they're cute. In the store they just lay there because they're scared and obviously not comfortable.

Actually, I think that's a good description xD You're right, that is what they look like.

I always think of cories as a pack of tireless, crazy, hyperactive tiny dogs. Like a bunch of stupid jack russel terriers or cocker spaniels or something. My cories will chase each other from one end of the tank to the other, non-stop for hours. They'll also chase each other up and down from the bottom of the tank to the top, or diagonally from the bottom left corner to the top right and back. They're all over the place and it's cute how they crawl all over each other when they get super excited.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #10 
Phoxly

This makes me want some lol. I like active fish, and it will give my betta some excitement in his life :D